Fifty-five

I look down at my clipboard. The checklist for the manuscripts Mr Horan still has to read lays on it. Leigh-Ann already started to show me around but also had some work for me. She's so stressed at the moment, so I told her I could search for the things with her. We're almost done. The only manuscript we're missing is nowhere to be found. We searched through all of the shelves.

"Honey, maybe Paul has it. I'm just going to ask him later", she smiles at me.

"Okay", I tell her, pushing the cart in front of me.

Leigh-Ann still needs to show me my office. It's going to be next to Niall's when we get worked in. Later on Niall will recieve Mr Horan's office and I get a different one in three years when I have my degree.

"Your office is all the way at the top, where Paul's, Niall's and mine are. The main floors you will be working at are the top and the two below. It could be that you have to drive around the city to pick up packages and manuscripts from authors or other publishing companies", Leigh-Ann explains.

"Okay but what do I do in the main time?"

"I will be by your side most of the time. Over the months you will get more and more jobs to do alone. As an example, sometime I'll let you look for the manuscripts alone and maybe let you plan a flight for Niall and Paul. Of course I'll help you most of the time but in the end we want you and Niall to take over the company completely with all employees and every single book here. I know it's a lot to handle but we'll always be there even after the four years. We're just one call away", she says, getting into the elevator.

We drive all the way to the top. People are walking around everywhere. Books and other paperwork lay scattered across their desks. Leigh-Ann greets everyone, as she guides me to my office. I throw an eye into the office next to mine, seeing Paul's back standing towards me.

"Niall told me that you like blue and gray colors, so we decided to go with a blue wall with shelves, a gray interior and some plants", Leigh-Ann explains.

I look around the room. It's beautiful. One wall is made of glass, so I can look down at the city, one is painted blue with gray shelves in front of it, one is gray with a few cupboards and a small sink and the wall with the door is made of glass, so you can watch me but there are blindfolds you can pull closed. The interior is mainly shelves, cupboards, a huge glass desk, a gray sofa and a few green plants here and there. A few manuscripts lay on the desk already. Niall's probably going to read them. I'll be the one to send them out to the book printing place or tell the author that we didn't accept or did accept the book. I'm already super excited. I even got signed up for online school pretty quick this morning with my mom's help.

"This is beautiful, Leigh-Ann", I say quite surprised by how big my office is.

All of this details to my favourite color and things like that. The lamps in my room are ones that look like huge desk lamps. I love it.

"I knew you would like it. Niall and I talk about you a lot. It seems like you have a strong connection, which is pretty important for this job. Honey, you do Niall so good", she smiles at me friendly.

"It's a pleasure to be Niall's friend."

"Okay but now I want you to bring these manuscripts to Paul. There are also some on Niall's desk you have to give Paul and then you can leave, okay, sweetheart?"

"Of course", I tell her.

I take the manuscripts from my desk, trying not to let them fall out of my hands which isn't easy due to I'm wearing a t-shirt and blazer. Not my typical outfit, I know. I make my way to Paul's office. People give me weird looks but I still bring them in there, placing them on his desk neatly. On my way back to my office, I see Niall in his office next to mine. He waves me inside. I sit down on the couch.

"How do you like it?", he asks.

"It's amazing. This company is so huge. How many employees do you have again?", I question.

"Over 150 people. 80 are readers, 40 are pre-readers and 30 are cleaning ladies, personal assistants for readers and many more."

I nod, being pretty impressed. Niall looks so good, sitting at his desk like my boss. It kind of turns me on but I push that thought away. I have to get used to seeing Niall as my boss sooner or later.

"I have to give these to your father", I point at the manuscripts on his desk, "I'll see you in a few."

I get up, taking the manuscripts and leave his office to find Mr Horan just a few feet away from me, talking to Leigh-Ann. She kisses him quickly before nodding her head in my direction.

"Ah, Alex, there are my manuscripts! Thank you for helping Leigh-Ann find them", he takes them out of my hands.

"No problem. There are also a few on your desk already."

"I hope you like your office. Niall and Leigh-Ann picked out the interior", he explains.

"I already heard", I admit.

"Lovely, now I think we're done for today. Just pass Niall's office and take him with you. He was pretty sad when he came home last night after the game. Did you lose?"

"No, we won, but I'll ask him later what was wrong", I promise him.

He smiles down at me with a glimpse of something in his eye. It reminds me of how my father used to look at me when I got a good grade in Middle School. I smile back lightly.

"Have a nice day, love", he tells me.

"You too, Mr Horan", I smile.

"Call me Paul, please. I feel so old otherwise."

"Allright, Paul."

He smiles at me one last time before I make my way to Niall's office. I see him reading on something. It's a book published by his father. All the bright places. I haven't read that book yet but I heard a lot of positive things about it.

"Your father told us we could leave", I tell him, opening the button of my blazer.

I've been waiting to do this the last six hours. He lays the book down, getting up and pulling his jacket on. My jacket is in the lobby. Leigh-Ann took it from me and gave it to a co-worker. I hope I find that lady again. Niall takes my small hand in his huge muscular one. It's so weird to hold his hand, so I pull it out of his grip. We're not a couple, so we don't have to hold hands. As soon as we're in the lobby, I see my jacket at the front desk with the same lady from this morning at it. She smiles at me widely, as I thank her for keeping my jacket. Niall pulls me to his car.

"Where are we going?", I ask curious.

"To your place, so you can get changed", he smirks.

"Why?"

"We're going somewhere. I already texted Luke to lay out some comfy clothes for you. You'll just go inside, get dressed and come back out, okay?", he asks, turning into my road.

I nod.

A few minutes later I'm wearing a olive green jacket with a black hoodie under it and black skinny jeans on my legs. I'm even wearing a beanie with my hair open because Luke forced me. Niall drives around a few minutes, until we reach the ice rink. I actually a decent skater but I probably just have to get used to the ice again.

"What are we doing here?", I ask Niall, as he lifts me on his back, making me piggy-back-ride him.

I'm just too lazy to walk, what a bummer but he's strong enough anyway.

"You're probably going to kill me, if I tell you but we're having our real first date and later I'll bring you home", he smiles, as I lay my head on his shoulder.

"Okay but next time ask, if I want to go on a date with you because this is just a little too demanding", I chuckle.

He nods quickly, almost making me fall off of his back. We enter the rink, renting some skates first. Niall actually ties them up for me. He's such a cute guy when he wants to impress a girl. I always though that bad boy type was stronger but it's okay like this. When we get on the ice, Niall almost falls on his bum. We crack up in laughter, as a guy falls face forward with his girlfriend and she smacks him afterwards, stomping off. This will be a whole lot of fun.