Fifty-eight

I walk into my brothers arms. We smile at each other, looking at each others graduation gowns.

"We actually did it", Luke announces.

"I can't believe that we actually made it. This was the roughest year yet", I groan, holding up my diploma in an annoyed way.

I can't believe that I actually survived four years of hell with no friends. Thank god, Niall and his friends, along with my brother saved me. If it weren't for them, I'd not be alive anymore. I'd be burried six feet under in a two foot wide grave with a pale gray gravestone with nothing but my name, birtday and death day on it. I don't want my grave to be anything spectacular. It just has to function as a place where my body can rot anyways.

"Gosh, did Mom and Dad say anything about food after we're done here?", Luke asks, looking at me with a wide grin.

I give him a confused look. We actually talked about this multiple times.

"Dude, our whole family is going to get food after this. Do you ever listen to our parents?", I chuckle.

Suddenly, someone covers my eyes from behind me. The faint smell of cigarettes and cologne fill my nose. A smile spreads on my face, as I turn around and get the hands from my eyes. Niall's wide grin makes my heartbeat fasten.

"I'm so proud of you", he tells me, pulling me into a hug.

I hug him back, feeling tears buikt up in my eyes.

"We did it", I half sob, half sigh, making me sound like a dying whale.

Niall presses a kiss to my cheek and I hear someone clear their throat behind me. I turn around, standing next to Niall, seeing Josh, Miranda and Sam there with my brother.

"Can't believe we actually got through this school year", Miranda comments, playing with her gorgeous hair.

Her mother put it in light curls and made a beautiful braided back with it in a half up, half down type of thing. I really like it. My hair is in my typical ponytail but I braided a section against my head.

"Kids, huddle up, we still need a few pictures", Paul shouts over our group, being followed by all of our parents.

After taking more than enough pictures, our families take us with them to celebrate our graduation with them. We'll see our friends soon enough again. Tonight to go to the graduation party at Niall's house to be exact. I can't wait to see what will go down tonight. I heard that people let themself going at parties like that because they're finally done.

*****

"So, this is goodbye?", Mom asks, looking like she's about to cry her eyes out.

Luke groans, as Mom begins to cry. I decide to just hug her until she's silent again. I don't deserve to by cried about.

"I'm just a ten minute car ride away and I'm in good hands with my landlord. She's such an angel and even took care of the search for a room mate for me", I explain, more to myself than to her due to me.

"But, I won't be close enough to you to make sure that you're safe", she sobs, ad I release her from her hug.

"Honey, she can always call us when something's not okay", my Dad speaks, laying his arm over my Mom's shoulders.

I quickly pack my last bag into my car, seeing it's stuffed with all of my belongings. I'm only 18 and already moving out from home. High school went by in the blink of an eye. This is crazy. I tighten my ponytail, as I turn back around to my family.

"We got you something for your graduation and moving day", Luke announces, holding out a box shaped present to me with silver wrapping paper and a small black bow on top.

I step forward and take it from him. It's quite heavy.

"Thank you. This was not necessary", I tell them, smiling to myself a little.

"But, you have to open it when you're at your place and comfortable there. Maybe even open it with your room mate. That way, you guy can get to know each other", Luke smirks at me.

"I will", I tell him.

We all quickly hug to say goodbye.

"I'll call you tonight when I'm almost completely moved in", I smile, stepping up to my car.

I don't dare to look back. I will cry when I look back at them. I know that I'm only a ten minute car ride away from them but I've never been away from home for more than seven days. Now, I'm moving out completely. Of course, I still have the option to stay at my parents house like Luke but when Luke's at college and I'm stressed from work and online college, I won't be able to visit my parents that often. I get in my car, laying the present down next to me on the passenger seat. I drive off, not looking back. The radio plays a happy song from the 80s, making me sing it softly. I know the way to my apartment by heart by now due to me having to drive all of my new furniture there. All I have to do today is sort my clothes, decirate and built up some more smaller furniture. Maybe, I can help my room mate move in if they need help. Soon enough, I get to my apartment complex, taking a parking space pretty close to the front door, so I don't have to carry my things too far. My landlord already stands at the front door, looking in my direction. I walk up to her, greeting her with a friendly handshake.

"It's so good to see you, Alex", the woman speaks.

"I'm really excited", I smile at her.

"Your room mate is already there, he's probably getting things settled in the basement. You already signed the lease a few weeks ago, so that's settled. Here's your keys", she says, holding out a few silver keys on a ring to me.

I take them, thanking her. She smiles. So my room mate is a guy. Nice. How will Niall react to that?

"So, if there are any problems, call me", she tells me, "Good bye."

I tell her goodbye and watch her leave. I should go up and see the apartment first before taking the remainings of my things up to the apartment. On my way upstairs, I meet a few people, greeting them. As soon as I'm in front of my apartment doors, I search for the keys. When I brought things here before, my landlord unlocked my door for me. As soon as I'm in the apartment, I have the faint smell of fresh paint and cigarettes in my nose. Boxes are stacked everywhere across the apartment. My room mate must've brough all of this things with him today. I walk up to the window wall in the living room, looking out. Today is a pretty nice day. The sun is shining but it's not too warm. Suddenly, the apartment door behind me opens, so I turn around to see my new room mate come in. He has his back turned towards me but when he turns around with a box in his hand, we both stop dead in our tracks.