Twenty-two

I get dressed into a pair of black skinny jeans, a light blue longsleeved shirt with four buttons at the front and black Vans. No hoodie because I have to look good for Niall's parents. He told me to wear something nice and I think this is nice enough. I brush through my hair one last time and tie it up into a ponytail. Hopefully his parents aren't stuck up rich people. I say bye to my family and steal Luke's car keys. I didn't drive in a while. It's weird. I take a look at my phone before I start driving. Niall told me to be there at six. It's now a quarter to six. I like to be early. The music from the speakers calms me. Nervous isn't even nearly the word to describe my feelings now. I arrive at Niall's place in a few minutes. The house has a very light white colour. It looks very welcoming. Their publishing company must be very famous and loved by authors. I get out of the car and take nothing but the keys and my phone with me. The front door has a grayish kind of colour. I ring the doorbell and wait for someone to open it. My eyes trail up and down the huge door. Whatever happens behind that door will change my life. Either I get a job or I will have to search for something else. The door opens and a young looking woman looks down at me. She has a heart-warming smile on her face.

"Hello, you must be Alexandra", she smiles.

"Yes, ma'am. It's nice to meet you, Mrs Horan", I tell her and try to put a smile on my lips.

"Come in."

I step in behind her. The house has only white walls and the furniture is made of dark wood. Mrs Horan guides me to the dining room. Niall and his father already sit opposide to each other.

"Hello, Mr Horan. I'm Alexandra Hemmings. It's nice to meet you", I tell him and shake his hand.

He gives me a smile, too, and shakes my hand.

"Nice to meet you, too. Please sit down. Dinner is ready soon. Let's just talk about some things for the job", he tells me.

I nod and sit down next to Niall. He gives me a assuring smile. My lips are still curled into a smile.

"So what are you aplying for?", Mr Horan asks me.

"I would like to have an apprenteceship for the job as a secretary or personal assistant. My dream job would be the job of an personal assistant for a publisher", I explain.

"We actually could aply you but we need to hear out the other girls aplying for that spot. You should give Niall your last reportcard, a CV and a list of things you can and can't do. We'll send you an e-mail", Niall's mom tells me smiling.

I thought they would ask me more questions about my experiances and if I like to work with people. Soon Niall's mom gets up from her place. She leaves the room.

"Do you have any problems with working with men?", Mr Horan asks.

"Not really. I just have to get to know the man I'm supposed to work with", I tell him.

Niall coughs awkwardly next to me. Mrs Horan comes back soon, putting down some food. It's rice with chopped up chicken and vegetables. It looks really good. We all start eating in an awkward silence. The food is really good. Niall finishes eating with me. His parents both still eat.

"The food was really good, Mrs Horan", I tell his mom.

She swallows her bite and gives me a knowing look.