Thirty

Liam's signature smirk lays on his lips. I try to turn away and walk off to my class but his hand wraps around my arm.

"Babe, don't run off. Didn't see you in two years. Let me look at you", he tells me.

I try to rip my wrist from his hand. He's gotten stronger. His eyes wander up and down my body. He bites his bottom lip.

"Damn, you got fine but you're still fat", he laughs slightly.

"Leave me alone, Liam. I want nothing to do with you", I tell him.

My heart pace is really fast. I feel like passing out. Why is he here? He's supposed to be on the other side of the country. I can't believe he's here.

"What? Why? Didn't you miss me? Because I missed you a lot. I missed fucking you against your desk and in the shower", he whispers into my ear.

I push him away and run off. This can't be true! He can't be back. His parents told me he'd never see me again and here he is. How can he be at this school? He graduated last year and he's 19. He should be at college now in his new town. Maybe he came here to go to college and found out I still live here. I have to talk to Luke and Josh about this. They're going to flip tables. When Liam didn't change in the past few years, I should be really scared of him. He probably just came by at school to scare me. I don't think he'll pull a move on me in public places. He's too scared to do that. And we're never going to be alone. I walk to my first class. People don't even look at me, which is good because I probably look like a huge mess now. My eyes wander around. Niall sits at his seat in the middle a row in front of me. I hope we get on good therms again. I miss talking to him and laughing with him. He didn't even comment on my tattoo. He doesn't even see how skinny I got in the last two weeks.

"Good morning class, we're doing partner work today. Please sit with your assigned partners. I'll write the exercises on the board", our teacher announces.

My assigned partner in this class is Niall. We have assigned partners in every class. Most of my partners don't really care about me. They just do their work with me and then ignore me. One of my partners is Niall and now that we're not on good therms, we have to work together. Cliché as fuck. I look down at my notebook.

"Yes, Niall", our teacher says.

"Do I have to work with my partner? I can do this on my own", Niall exclaims.

"You should work with your partner."

I hear him sigh. That hurt. He sits down on the empty desk next to me. I ignore him and copy the things from the board. Niall pulls the desk over to mine and connects them in the process. I feel his body temperature next to mine. Niall writes down the exercises. He's ignoring me, too.

"Niall, with just sitting next to your partner, I didn't mean partner work! Talk to each other. Be active. Just solve the problems", she smiles.

Niall groans quietly. When he doesn't want to work with me, he can just do it on his own.

"If you don't want to work with me, just do it on your own", I mumble to him.

He touches my left hand with his. I pull it away quickly. Right now I don't want him to touch me. Not now where we're on bad therms.

"Can we talk at lunch? At my car?", he asks.

I nod. We just need to talk about everything I threw at him. I'm a really bad friend.

*****

Christina glares at me, as I walk past her in the hallway. She really hates me. I put the necklace from my locker back on. Niall really wants to get on good therms with me again. I didn't see Liam anymore. He probably left after seeing me. I hope he leaves me alone. Luke knows about Liam being back. He told me I need to stay at someone's side the whole time. Even if I have to go to the toilet. My brother really hates Liam. The day I told my brother about Liam abusing me, he drove straight to his house and beat him up. Thank god Liam was alone at his place or his parents would've sued him for beating Liam up. Just as I want to stop walking, I see Niall walking to me. He has a smile on his face. The lilac colour of his hair looks really good on him. I scratch my head through the hood of my hoodie. Niall stops in front of me. He smiles down at me.

"I'm sorry", he tells me.

I nod and let him hug me. His head lays on mine.

"I'm sorry for making you feel alone. I'm sorry for making you feel like my second choice. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you about Christina. I'm sorry that I didn't talk to you for two weeks. I was such an idiot", he says.

"It's okay."

He lets go of me. I smile at him slightly. He reaches his hand to my neck and feels for the necklace. He pulls it out of my hoodie, holding it in his hand. A smile plays on his lips.

"You actually put it back on? I didn't expect that."

"It felt like it was the right thing to do."

He kisses my head and pulls down the hood. I fake a frown quickly but he squishes my cheek between his thumb and pointer finger.

"Now it's my turn to apologize", I tell him.

"Why do you need to apologize?"

"I'm sorry for being aggressive and throwing the necklace at you. I didn't mean to scream at you. My feelings just overwhelmed me. I'm sorry for thinking like an idiot."

"It's fine. Do you have time after school? I'd like to spend some time with you. Just talk about some stuff. Maybe at the place we first met?", he smiles.

"Sure."

Niall scratches his neck quickly. I see something silver apear at his neck. It's a necklace. I reach out to Niall's neck and touch the necklace quickly. I pull it out from under his hoodie and a small circle pendant apears. Niall has a smirk on his lips. His eyes are trained to the distance. He wanted me to see it and pull it out from under his hoodie. The pendant has a chickadee on it.

"You have the same?", I ask.

"Yes because we're friends and with these we'll never forget about each other."

I smile at him. Niall is such a good friend.