Tony Stark x Reader

"My parents are out of town." Tony says.
"Okay." You say, unsure why he's telling you this.
"Wanna come over?"
"Um..."
He laughed. "Oh, come on. We'll just watch a movie or something."
"All right. I might have trouble convincing my parents, though." I laughed, only half joking.
"So don't tell them."
"Ha ha."
"So you'll come?"
"I'll come."
Ten minutes later, you walk out the front door.
"Where're you going?" Your father slurs from the couch.
"Tony's."
"Who the hell's Tony?"
"Boyfriend. Bye."
Just as you're reaching up to ring the doorbell, the door opens. You expect a dramatic greeting, but he just gives you a slight smile and invites you inside.
"You okay?" You ask.
"No." He says simply, throwing you for a loop.
"Wanna talk?"
"No."
"All right."
"Actually, yes."
"All right."
"I'm so sick of my father."
You wait for him to go on, but he doesn't. "I'm sorry." You say.
"'Captain America this' and 'Captain America that.' He's all he ever talks about. Maybe if Captain America had been his son instead, maybe then he'd be proud."
"Tony, he--"
"Don't make excuses for him. He's never, ever told me he loves me. He's never even said he likes me. I can't remember the last time he hugged me, if he ever has. I've hacked into the Pentagon--I graduated MIT--And he still doesn't trust me to stay home alone for a freaking week."
"Perhaps he was messing around." You try.
"He doesn't 'mess around.' He's cold and calculating. I doubt he's ever joked in his life. What have I ever done to be such a disappointment to him?"
"I'm sure he's proud."
"No he isn't. He never has been, and I'm willing to bet he never will be." He shoves his hands into his pockets. "I'm twenty one, and he's never told me he's proud. Did I ever tell you I built a circuit board when I was four?"
"No, but your mom did." You don't ask what a circuit board is, sure that if you spend enough time with Tony, you'll find out,
"Well, you wanna know what my dad said?"
"Sure."
"He said 'Oh, wow.' Expressionlessly. I was four."
"Perhaps he's just good at hiding his emotions. You hide your emotions quite well."
"Not from people I love. I tell you I love you. I tell Mom I love her. He has never once..." He trailed off, raking his hand through his hair.
"Your mother's proud of you." You try.
"I know. I know she is. I just... I want him to be."
"He is, Tony."
"Do you want to go out to eat? There's this amazing restaurant my mom and I go to a lot."
"Sure." You nod.
He leans down and kisses you slowly. "Sorry." He says quietly as he pulls away.
"For what?"
"All my emoting." He cracks a smile.
"You're good. Don't apologize."
"Bye, Jarvis!" He calls as you walk out.
You toss him your keys. "You drive."
You ride in silence for a while, just listening to the radio.
"AC/DC." Tony smiles, turning up the volume.
"Hey, Tony?" You say over the chorus of Hell's Bells.
"Yeah, honey?" He reaches over and slips his hand into yours.
"I'm proud of you."
He doesn't say anything for a while, just stares ahead. He clears his throat. "Thank you." He says finally, his grip tight on your hand.
Just as you're sitting down to eat, Jarvis calls him. "Hey, Jarvis." He smiles, the phone on speaker.
"Hey." You tell him.
"Y/N, hello." Jarvis says. "Tony, I need you to come home."
"We're just sitting down to dinner. Can it wait?"
"No, I'm afraid not."
"Come on. I'll take you home." You say.
"No. Stay with me." Tony says. He won't say it, but he's worried, and you know it. Jarvis never interrupts.
"Are you sure?"
"You can come." Jarvis says.
Tony hands you the keys, and you drive to his house. Neither of you talk.
Tony grabs your hand as you walk into the mansion. Normally he's gentle, but he's gripping your hand tightly now. "Jarvis? We're home." He says, voice shaking. He clears his throat.
Jarvis comes in the foyer and gestures for you to follow him. You follow him, and the three of you sit in the living room. "I'm afraid I have bad news."
"What?" Tony asks.
"Your parents were in a car accident." His eyes don't leave Tony's.
"Okay." Tony nods.
"They're both dead."
"My mother's dead?"
"Yes. And your father."
"He killed her." Tony says.
"I'm sure it--"
"Was he drunk?" Tony demands.
"I don't--"
"I bet he was. I have to go." He gets up and walks out, leaving you and Jarvis alone.
You both watch him in silence. "You should go after him." Jarvis says.
"Yes sir. But are you okay?" You ask, both of you standing.
"Yes ma'am." He nods.
You hug him. "I'm sorry, Mr. Jarvis. Thank you."
"Thank you. You don't have to call me Mister or sir, though." He reminds you for what has to be the millionth time.
"Sorry." You smile a little, and follow Tony.
You knock on his door.
"Go away, Jarvis." Tony says, like he does when Jarvis tries to talk to him after he and his father get in a fight.
"It's me." You say.
"Go away, Y/N." He amends.
You open the door anyways to find him fiddling with something on a table. "What're you making?"
He proceeds to say some long word that you've never heard.
"Fun." You say.
"I'm fine." He says, his back to you.
"You sound fine." You say sarcastically.
"Thank you for agreeing."
"Come here, Tony."
"Go home, Y/N. It's getting late."
"I can't. Jarvis said to come up here."
"Go home."
"Jarvis is the boss, not you."
"I'm the boss."
"Nope. Come talk to me."
"I don't want to." His voice cracks.
You walk over to him and pull his hands gently off what he's building and turn him to you. He adverts his eyes. "Tony..."
"He killed my mom." A tear falls from his eye, and he bows his head.
You reach up and wipe his tear, leaving your hand on his cheek.
Usually so gentle, he smashes his lips onto yours, spinning you around and pushing you backwards onto his bed.

Several months later, the two of you attend Jarvis' funeral. Tony's a mess for days and doesn't speak a word. You stay with him at his parents' house, unwilling to leave him alone like this. Rhodey stops by sometimes to check in, but even then Tony won't talk.
You and Tony are sitting at the kitchen table eating dinner. He just picks at his food.
He slides a little box across the table.
You look from the box to him before picking it up and opening it to see a diamond ring. You look back at him.
"Will you marry me?" He croaks out.
"Do you want to think about this a little more?" You ask, knowing he hasn't quite been himself.
He shakes his head.
"I'd love to, Tony, but I'm not sure if this is really what you want or not."
"I want it." He says simply.
"You haven't exactly been yourself lately. I don't know if I feel comfortable accepting this when I know how out of it you've been."
He looks up with the first genuine smile you've seen in days. "I love you." He says.
His smile was enough to assure you, so you slide the ring onto your finger. He reaches over and gently takes your hand, leaning over and pressing it to his lips. "I love you." He repeats.
"I love you too."