Bucky Barnes x Reader

Bucky gently picks up your hand with his right hand. He brings your hand up and grazes the back of it with his lips.
You give him a little smile and take both of his hands in yours.
He pulls his left hand away and puts it behind his back.
"Come on, sweetheart. It's okay."
"No."
"It's fine."
"No."
"Fine. Are you ready to go to the movie?"
He shakes his head slowly.
"Just tell me what you want me to do, darling. We don't have to play this game."
He shrugs. "I don't know." He says quietly.
Steve Rogers had given you a thorough interrogation when Bucky had admitted to an interest in you. Steve had ascertained that you were patient enough to handle his friend.
"What do you want to do, then?"
"I want to apologize."
"Apologize for what?" You furrow your eyebrows.
"Everything. I did things. I did bad things." He drops his gaze, his hand shaking in yours.
"I know, love."
"I did really bad things."
"I know."
"I killed people."
"I know."
"I killed good people. I killed innocent people. I killed children. I killed... I killed the Starks."
"You--" You cut off immediately and change it to "It's okay" but the damage is already done.
He pulls his hand away and shuts down.
The scared, desperate look of an innocent child in his eyes is gone, replaced with the cold, invincible look of a hardened criminal.
"I'm sorry, Bucky." You say immediately.
"It's fine." He sits down on the couch, but he sits on the very edge.
You sit beside him, close enough so that your knees touch. "Bucky..."
He closes his eyes and puts his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands.
You kiss his temple and put your arm around him.
He leans against you, eventually dropping his head down onto your lap. You play with his hair.
"Wanna go see a movie?" He mumbles into your jeans after a while.
"No, why don't we stay in?"
"S-Stay in?" He asks, sitting up. "Oh, stay in. Okay." He slips his hand into yours. His grip is firm, but it's gentle.
"Come on, baby. Tell me what's on your mind?"
"Do you call me all those pet names because you think I have a deep psychological need for emotional connection?" He looks at you.
"Um... Maybe a little bit." You admit.
"What else do you think I have a need for?"
"Spiritual guidance. A stable environment. Physical contact."
"Bingo."
"Well, then why didn't you say it was what you wanted?"
"I don't want physical contact. I mean... I just want touch you. I mean-- I don't want anybody else within three feet of me. I... I don't know."
"Kiss me."
"Y-You don't want me to."
"Yes I do."
"No you don't. You're only saying that beside Steve threatened you like Clint Barton threatened me."
"That's not true, honey. You know that."
"It isn't fair for you to call me stuff like that when I'm trying so hard not to kiss you."
"May I kiss you?"
You ask, because you don't want him freaking out if you do.
He stammers a little bit before saying yes.
You lean forward to kiss him, but he ducks his head.
"I'm sorry." He chokes out, sounding strangled.
"It's okay, sweetheart. Take your time."
He takes deep breaths, staring at the floor.
"Relax, dear. You're tense. You don't need to be. It's just me." You move to sit on the back of the couch, behind him, and rub his shoulders. "Do you trust me?"
"Yes. I just don't trust me."
"I trust you, sweetie."
"Don't. That's dangerous."
"Not anymore, love. Don't you see?"
"Yes. I see things I've done in my nightmares every night. I see a lot, and I have solid reasoning."
"So sleep with me."
"Sleep with... oh. Yeah. That." He gave a little laugh. "Back in the forties when women said that to me, they weren't ministering to my unstable mental health."
You move to sit beside him again with a laugh. "First things first." You smile as he slips his hand into yours.
"I'm going to kiss you, Bucky."
He nods.
You put your hand on his cheek to discourage movement.
He still ducks away.
"What are you afraid of?"
"Not being able to stop." He doesn't lift his head.
"You can stop."
"I can't. In case you haven't noticed, my self-control skills are a bit rusty."
"I'll stop you."
"But I..."
"Bucky. You aren't a weapon, you're a human."
"I'm a human weapon. I'm an uncontrollable human weapon. That's even worse." He has one hand on your knee, and the other in your hand.
You raise your free hand and rake your fingers through his hair. "No, love. You aren't an uncontrollable weapon. You're a man. A brave, strong man. How about this: I won't speak at all. No trigger words said."
"T-That's not what I'm worried about in this situation."
"You need intimate contact too, darling. Everybody does."
"I don't want to... overstep boundaries."
"I won't let you."
"That's the problem. You can't stop me. Don't you get it? I'm a monster, Y/N. You couldn't stop me if you tried. For the past seventh years, I haven't once stopped because somebody told me to. I'm still the Winter Soldier. I'm capable of completely ravishing you without your consent."
"You won't."
"I could."
"You won't. I have faith in you."
"I don't have faith in me."
"You aren't the Winter Soldier. You're Bucky Barnes."
"I don't want to compromise your safety."
"You won't."
"I don't want you ever to have reason to despise me."
"I won't."
"I need to leave." He says, not moving.
"You don't have to kiss me if you don't feel comfortable."
"I want to, though." He finally raises his head.
"Then do it."
"I can't."
You slip your other hand into the hand that isn't already holding yours.
"How am I not the Winter Soldier with my arm?"
"You're Bucky Barnes."
He looks at you. "You have no reason to believe in me like you do. Why do you?"
"Because I know you, and I admire you. I love you."
He leans forward, and starts to back away again.
You beat him to it and close the gap.
It's like a switch flipped in him. He went from being gentle and uncertain to kissing you roughly, like your high school prom date who just wanted you undressed.
Except Bucky doesn't just want you undressed.
And nothing that he feared would happen happened. Your clothes got a bit rumpled, but that was the worst of it.
After a while, he pulls back, breathing heavily and panting.
"Better?" You ask quietly, looking up at him.
"A-A little." He stammers. "I still want to..."
"Let's watch a movie." You suggest, reaching up and brushing his hair out of his face.
He nods, leaning down and kissing you again, far more gently. He's still shaking, but this time it's a tense, restrained shaking, not a frightened, timid shaking.
"Can we watch Footloose?" You pull him back down and kiss him again.
"Whatever you want." His lips brush your cheek.
"We'll go to my room. That way when I fall asleep you won't have to lug me to my bed."
"Lug you? Please. You're as tiny as Steve used to be." He gets off of you and holds out his hand, helping you up.
"Unmake the bed?" You ask as you walk into your bedroom.
Bucky starts unmaking the bed as you put the CD in.
Bucky's arms are around you the second you sit down. "I want to stay here forever." He whispers in your ear. "I never want to leave you." He kisses your cheek. "Thank you. I... I lo--I love you."
"I love you too, darling."
He smiles and whispers, "I love you, baby."