Dead in the Water (2)

Kylie's POV

"Now I'm sorry, but why does wildlife service care about an accidental drowning?" The sheriff asked us.

I presented him with a sweet smile. "We're not so sure it was accidental."

"Will Carlton saw something grab his sister." Sam said, less sweet than I was trying to be.

"Like what?" The sheriff asked as we walked into his office, he motioned for us to sit, but I stayed standing. I looked around at the pictures of old newspaper clippings on his wall while Dean and Sam sat down.

"There are no indigenous carnivores in that lake. There's nothing even big enough to pull down a person, unless It was the Loch Ness Monster."

Now there was a thought, I mentally told myself as Dean looked back at me with a smile.

"Yeah." Dean laughed, showing me that he was excited about the thought.

"Will Carlton was traumatized, and sometimes the mind plays tricks. Still-" Jake, the sheriff, paused and shook his head. "We dragged that entire lake. We even ran a sonar sweep, just to be sure, and there was nothing down there."

"That's weird, though, I mean, that's, that's the third missing body this year." Dean said.

Jake looked at us and sighed. "I know. These are people from my town. These are people I care about."

"We know." I said nicely, taking a seat next to Dean.

"Anyway . . ." He shook his head with a sigh. "All this . . . it won't be a problem much longer."

I tilted my head to the side. "What do you mean?"

"Well, the dam, of course." Jake nodded.

I looked at Dean who was looking at me until he finally turned to Jake.

"Of course, the dam. It's, uh, it sprung a leak." Dean smiled.

"It's falling apart, and the feds won't give us the grant to repair it, so they've opened the spillway. In another six months, there won't be much of a lake. There won't be much of a town, either. Bust as Federal Wildlife, you already knew that."

I smiled and nodded just as a young woman with dark hair and dark eyes tapped on the door behind us.

"I can come back later." She said politely.

"This is my daughter." Jake introduced, and Dean was quick on his feet to take her hand.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Dean."

"Andrea Barr. Hi."

"Hi." Dean flirted, and my heart sunk as it did many times before.

Maybe Dean Winchester and I just weren't meant to be, maybe I should just give up on him and focus more on the job at hand.

"They're from Wildlife Service. About the lake." Jake introduced just as a younger boy, no more than nine, peaked his head around Andrea, his hair covering his eyes as they looked down at the floor.

"Oh, he there. What's your name?" Dean asked nicely, but he only walked away without speaking a word.

"His name is Lucas." Jake cleared his throat as Lucas and Andrea moved to another room.

"Is he okay?" Sam asked.

"My grandson's been through a lot. We all have." He admitted with defeat, before standing up. "Well, if there's anything else I can do for you, please let me know."

"Thanks. You know, now that you mentioned it, could you point us in the direction of a reasonably priced motel?" Dean asked.

"Lakefront Motel." Andrea said as she came back in, a smile on her face. "Go around the corner. It's about two blocks south."