Bugs (5)

Bugs (5)

Kylie's POV

It took a quick stop for directions and a sixty mile drive to find the man we were looking for. The same man who was currently sitting in front of me in a diner, playing cards without a care in the world.

"Joe White Tree?" I asked gently only to receive a nod. "We'd like to ask you a few questions, if that's all right." I smiled.

"We're students from the university." Dean lied.

"No, you're not. You're lying." Joe said and looked up at me, almost as if he was looking into my soul.

"Well the truth is," Dean said seeming to be a little taken back.

"You know who starts sentence with truth is? Liars." Joe said making me smile.

"Have you heard of Oasis Plains?" I asked, sitting across from him looking at his cards. "It's a housing development near the Atoka Valley."

"I like her. She's not a liar." Joe told Dean.

I glanced at Dean who looked a little pissy as I raised my eyebrows in victory.

"I know the area."

I turned back to Joe and laid my hands on the table. "What can you tell us about the history there?"

Joe looked at my hands and then back at me. "What do you wanna know?"

I took in a deep breath. "Something . . . something bad is happening in Oasis Plains. We think it might have something to do with some old bones we found there – Native American bones." I licked my dry lips, suddenly nervous.

Joe reached forward, grabbing my hands gently, a cold chill running through my body. "I'll tell you what my grandfather told me, what his grandfather told him." I listened carefully, despite the pull between reality and what felt like my visions. "Two hundred years ago, a band of my ancestors lived in that valley. One day, the American cavalry came to relocate them. They were resistant, the cavalry impatient." I closed my eyes tightly as he spoke, Joe's hand squeezing mine in comfort as if he knew what I was feeling. "As my grandfather put it, on the night the moon and the sun share the sky as equals, the cavalry first raided our village. They murdered, raped."

Distant screams filled my head, and I felt their pain in my abdomen, my chest, and most importantly my heart.

"The next day, the cavalry came again, and the next, and the next. And on the sixth night, the cavalry came one last time. And by the time the sun rose, every man, woman, and child still in the village was dead. They say on the sixth night, as the chief of the village lay dying, he whispered to the heavens that no white man would ever tarnish this land again. Nature would rise up and protect the valley. And it would bring as many days of misery and death to the white man as the cavalry had brought up his people." Joe let go of my shaking hands.

I looked down at them, surprised at what I had just experienced.

"Insects. Sounds like nature to me. Six days." Dean said behind me, as I got up from the table, Dean and Sam both looking at me confused, especially when I weakly leaned against Dean.

Dean wrapped his arm around me, almost holding me up.

"And on the night of the sixth day," Joe said and looked at me. "None would survive."

Dean, Sam, and I each looked at each other, knowingly.

We thanked Joe for his time, only getting a grunt and a nod out of it

.I was dumb enough to hope Joe would know something, able to give me answers on my visions, but he never even looked at me again.

I was bummed out as we headed back to the car, surprisingly standing strong as we walked.