Bloody Mary (3)

Bloody Mary (3)

Kylie's POV

I kept my distance from Dean as we headed into a local library. I just didn't want to be near him at the moment, not until we had our 'talk'.

"All right, say Bloody Mary really is haunting this town. There's gonna be some sort of proof – Like a local woman who died nasty." Dean said looking at Sam, his eyes ghosting past me.

"Yeah, but a legend this widespread it's hard. I mean, there's like 50 versions of who she actually is. One story says she's a witch, another says she a mutilated bride, there's a lot more." Sam sighed.

"All right so what are we supposed to be looking for?" Dean questioned.

"Every version's got a few things in common. It's always a woman named Mary, and she always dies right in front of a mirror. So we've gotta search local newspapers- public records as far back as they go. See if we can find a Mary who fits the bill." Sam glanced at me and I nodded in agreement.

"It's going to be a lot of research." I sighed.

"Well that sounds annoying." Dean noted, looking at his feet.

"No, it won't be so bad, as long as we . . ." We stopped at the computers where each one of them were out of order.

I rolled my eyes as Sam chuckled. "I take it back. This will be very annoying."

Dean nodded before patting his brother's shoulder. "Well you two have fun."

"Where are you going?" I glared at Dean.

He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "I gotta go." He nodded.

"You gotta go?" I questioned harshly.

"Yep, call me when you're done." Dean nodded, stuffing his hands in his jacket pocket and turning to leave.

"He's joking right?" I asked Sam who shook his head.

"We'll get as much as we can here and then we'll take some back to the motel." He offered as we went to sit at one of the tables. "What is going on between you and him?"

I bit my lip, harshly.

His girlfriend just died, how do I explain to him that I was having relationship issues with Dean when there might not even be a relationship.

I rubbed a hand over my face, ignoring the makeup I probably just smeared. "I like him Sam."

"I know that." Sam said in a duh tone.

"He kissed me." I looked over at him.

Sam's mouth opened and closed, I think he was too stunned to say anything.

"Yep." I nodded.

"Dean . . ." Sam trailed. "Dean likes you too, but I didn't expect him to actually make a move."

"Thanks." I nodded and he shook his head.

"No, you know what I mean. Dean is just well . . . Dean." Sam tried to explain. "He doesn't do the whole lovey dovey relationship. We weren't raised like that, you know that."

"Yeah." I nodded, my heart slightly broken.

Sam cleared his throat and grabbed my shoulder. "Let's get this done, okay?"

I stared at Sam for a moment, his eyes filled with sorrow, before I nodded.

-------------------------------------------------

After a few hours of research at the library we decided to take the rest of the books to the motel. Dean picked us up quickly and brought us back. I was sat at the small table with Dean across from me, and Sammy was fast asleep in his bed.

"He looks peaceful." Dean said after a half an hour of silence.

I looked over at Sam and nodded. "He needs the sleep."

"I agree, I haven't seen him like that since . . . ever." Dean chuckled sadly.

"Yeah well, he's been through a lot." I nodded, flipping a page in a book.

"Are you okay?" Dean asked gently.

I bit my lip and nodded. "Just tired."

"You've been different, and I'm not talking after the kiss."

Oh so now he finally mentions it?

"Then what are you talking about?" I raised a brow at him.

"You look paler, weaker." He noted. "Maybe we should take you to a hospital or something."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me."

He scoffed. "You're kidding right. You and Sam are my top priorities."

"Yeah, well maybe you should focus a little more on Sam." I shot at him.

Sam gasped himself awake, pulling Dean and I away from our little feud.

"Why'd you let me fall asleep?" Sam mumbled.

"Because I'm an awesome brother." I glanced at Dean whose eyes were buried in a book, his lips in a tight line. "So what did you dream about?"

"Lollipops and candy canes." Sam sighed, sitting up in bed.

"Yeah, sure." Dean scoffed.

"Did you find anything?" Sam asked.

"Oh besides a whole new level of frustration?" Dean glances at me before looking over at Sam. No. I've looked at everything. Few local women, a Laura and a Catherine committed suicide in front of a mirror, and a giant mirror fell on a guy named Dave, but uh, no Mary." He said and closed the book he was reading.

"Maybe we just haven't found it yet." Sam suggested, as he laid back on the bed.

"I've also been searching for strange deaths in the area, you know . . . eyeball bleeding, that sort of thing." I held up a book before dropping it on the table. "There's nothing. Whatever's happening here, maybe it just ain't Mary." I shrugged.

Sam's phone rang on the end table, he quickly grabbed it and answered it.

"Hello?" Sam answered before glancing at us. "We'll be right there."

"Who was that?" I asked as Sam hung up, hopping out of bed.

"There was another murder." He said. "Let's go."

I glanced at Dean who let out a sigh.

"Maybe you should stay here." Dean said to me, and I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up."

------------------------------

Charlie, the young blonde we met at the funeral, met with us in a local park, she was shaken up, crying as she talked about her friend's death.

"And they found her on the bathroom floor. And her-her eyes. They were gone." Charlie cried.

"I'm sorry." Sam said gently.

"And she said it." Charlie's wide eyes looked up at us. "I heard her say it. But it couldn't be because of that. I'm insane, right?"

"No, you're not insane." Dean said softly.

"Oh God, that make me feel so much worse." She sighed.

I bit my lip harshly. "Look. WE think something's happening here. Something that can't be explained." I said softly.

Dean placed a hand on my shoulder, squeezing slightly.

"And we're gonna stop it, but we could use your help."