Scarecrow (5)

Scarecrow (5)

Kylies POV

"This is fun." I told Dean as I paced back and forth of the old cellar, glancing out the window when I could. "See what continuing your education gets you?" I said with a humorless laugh.

"Feeling a little bitter?" Dean raised a brow as he sat on a crate.

"Just a little." I nodded just as the cellar door opened up.

I felt my body tighten as I watched Emily come down the steps, being held by her aunt and uncle.

"Aunt Stacy. Uncle Harley, please." The pushed her next to Dean as if she was nothing. "Why are you doing this?"

"For the common good." Stacy said simply.

I let out a laugh. "Oh right the common good, you know to make crops grow, let the community of fifty thrive." I rolled my eyes.

Stacy glared at me as she went up the stairs, leaving us in the dark.

My body stiffened as flashes of my childhood replayed in my mind. The closets, the basements, the small dark spaces.

I felt my breath quicken, my heart beating hard against my chest.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Ky?" I heard Dean's voice.

"Sorry." I shook my head, trying to make out his beautiful face in the darkness.

"Don't be sorry, just try not to panic, I'm here." He nodded and touched my face. "I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

I nodded. "I know, I just feel like I can't catch my breath."

Dean nodded. "We need to get you some air."

He did his best to guide me to the crate he was sitting on moments ago. "I'm going to work on the door."

"Your head." I sighed.

"I'm fine." Dean smiled. "It's a bruise."

He went to the cellar door, pushing against it, but by the lack of light, it didn't seem to work.

"I don't understand. They're gonna kill us?" Emily asked.

I almost forgot about her, my breath quickening even more at the thought of not taking care of someone.

"Sacrifice us. Which is, I don't know, classier, I guess?" Dean walked down the steps. "You really didn't know anything about this, did you?"

"About what? The scarecrow god? I can't believe this." She said frantically.

"Well, you better start believing, cause I'm gonna need your help." Dean said gently.

"Okay." Emily nodded.

"Now, we can destroy the scarecrow, but we gotta find the tree." Dean explained.

"What tree?" Emily asked confused.

I swallowed back my panic. "Maybe you can help us with that. It would be really old. The locals would treat it with a lot of respect, you know, like it was sacred."

Emily thought before nodding. "There was this one apple tree. The immigrants brought it over with them. They call it the First Tree."

"Is it in the orchard?" I asked wiping my sweaty hands on my jeans.

"Yeah, but I don't know where." Emily shook her head.

"Okay." Dean sighed and thought for a minute before coming over to kneel in front of me. "Ky, how are you doing?"