Dead in the Water (3)

Kylie's POV

As children Dean and I would always hang out in the park, usually later than we should when we knew Sammy was taken care of. We would talk about stupid things, like what we wanted to be when we grew up, even though we knew where we would end up.

So, when we arrived at the park looking for Lucas, some of those memories were brought back up, and when I looked at Dean I couldn't help but have a smile on my face.

"What?" He asked confused, and that's when my smile dropped, knowing that he didn't remember those late night like I did.

"Nothing, just thinking." I shrugged.

"You know," He smirked. "It's not good when you do that. We know what happens when you think."

I rolled my eyes and trudged on before Dean ran up and caught my shoulder. "What do you want to be when you grow up?" He asked in a whisper in my ear.

I looked at him with a grin and shook my head when found Andrea sitting on a bench watching Lucas as he colored with his toy soldiers.

I tilted my head to the side as I watched the kid. He looked scared, and he had every right to be.

"I'm here with my son." Andrea said quickly.

"Do you mind if we say hi?" Dean asked as he grabbed my arm, and before Andrea had a chance to I was being dragged to Lucas and his army men.

I don't know what Dean was thinking? Maybe he thought I was good with kids or maybe he needed some support as he talked to Lucas, but whatever the reason was, I needed to be there for Dean.

"How is it going?" Dean asked as he knelt down next to Lucas. "Oh I used to love these things." He said as he picked up one of the army men and made a shooting sound before giving it a little toss and chuckling.

Lucas, of course didn't respond.

I sighed and gave Lucas a little smile. "Crayons are more your thing?" I smiled.

"That's cool. Chicks dig artists." Dean teased and I rolled my eyes at him.

"You know," I noted as I saw the drawings next to him. "those are pretty good. Do you mind if we sit and draw with you for a while?" I smiled.

"I'm not so bad myself." Dean said as he picked up a crayon. "I'm thinking you can hear me, you just don't want to talk."

I listened to Dean as I sat across from Dean and Lucas, my chin propped in my hand as I watched Dean make a little drawing.

"I don't know exactly what happened to your dad, but I know it was something real bad. I think I know how you feel. What I was your age, I saw something." Dean paused and I watched him visibly swallow. I reached for his free hand under the table and gave it a squeeze, encouraging him as my heart broke.

Dean shook his head, to snap out of it. "Anyway. Well, maybe you don't think anyone will listen to you, or, uh . . . or believe you. I want you to know that I will. You don't even have to say anything. You could draw me a picture about what you saw that day, with your dad, on the lake."

I looked for any response from Lucas and back to Dean who looked defeated.

"Okay no problem. This is for you." He passed his picture to Lucas and there were small stick figures drawn, of a family. "This is my family. That's my dad, that's my mom. That's my geek brother, and that's me." He looked at Lucas again but there was only silence. "All right, so I'm a sucky artist. I'll see you around Lucas."