Shadow (4)

Shadow (4)

Kylie's POV

I helped Sam grab as much stuff as we could carry from the Impala, while Dean stayed in the motel room calling for 'backup'.

"You know he's in there calling Dad, right?" Sam asked softly as I loaded a couple of Latin books into the bag.

I nodded. "I know." I said gently, pulling my hair back into a loose bun nervously. "You think he's going to answer?" I asked.

Sam sighed. "Dad has been hunting this demon for years, it's all he could ever think about." He bit his lip. "If this is truly 'the' demon then he wouldn't miss it."

I nodded, agreeing with him as I grabbed some shotgun shells, putting them in my pocket. "It's going to kill Dean if he doesn't answer."

"Dad didn't answer when Dean was dying, Kylie. I just - I don't understand why he puts so much faith in the man." Sam shook his head as he shut the trunk.

"Because it's all he knows." I sighed and followed Sam back into the motel where we saw Dean sitting on his phone.

"We think we've got a serious lead on the thing that killed Mom. So, uh, this warehouse- it's 1435 West Erie. Dad, if you get this, get to Chicago as soon as you can."

Dean's voice sounded so scared. I just wanted to hold him and take pain and worry away from him.

He hung up the phone as soon as he saw us.

"Voicemail?" Sam asked.

"Yeah." He said sadly before glancing at me. "Jesus, what'd you get?" He asked gesturing to the bag on my shoulder.

Sam was chucking at his reaction, but I only frowned still worrying about Dean.

"We ransacked that trunk. Holy water, every weapon that we could thing of, exorcism rituals from about a half dozen religions. I'm not sure what to expect, so I guess we should just expect everything." Sam shrugged.

We went over to the bed full of weapons and began loading our guns quietly, tension feeling the room.

"Big night." Dean nodded.

"Yeah. You nervous?" Sam asked us.

"No." Dean said immediately making me smile. "Why, are you?"

"No. No way." Sam shook his head. "Ky?"

I glanced up from my gun and shook my head. "No, not at all." I lied.

My stomach was in knots.

"God, could you imagine if we actually found that damn thing? That demon?" Sam said making Dean and I both stare at Sam nervously.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves, all right?" Dean shook his head.

"I know. I'm just sayin', what if we did? What if this whole thing was over tonight? Man, I'd sleep for a month. Go back to school - be a person again."

Sam spoke as if life would ever be normal after this.

Could I stop hunting once we killed the demon? Could I live that normal life with Dean and have a family?

"You wanna go back to school?" Dean asked.

"Yeah, once we're done hunting the thing." Sam shrugged.

"Huh." Dean said almost dumbfounded.

"Why, is there something wrong with that?" Sam asked confused, and the tension grew greater.

"No, no, it's, uh, great. Good for you." Dean nodded.

"I mean, what are you going to do when it's all over?" Sam asked, and I stupidly let my hopes rise at the thought of having a future with Dean after this.