Nightmare (5)

Nightmare (5)

Kylie's POV

I stayed outside, against the Impala while Dean and Sam cleared everything up with the police.

I just couldn't stay in that house any long, it was just too hard to breathe in there, too hard to catch my breath.

Out here wasn't much better.

I was spitting out more blood than I ever had before, and that didn't mix well with the tears.

I was leaned over the Impala, wiping my mouth when I saw Dean and Sam coming.

I quickly cleaned myself up and stared at the ground.

"Hey," Dean said before pulling me to him again.

"If I'd just said something else. Gotten through to him somehow." I said gently.

"Don't do that Kylie." Sam said as he stood next to us.

"Do what?" I glanced at him.

"Torture yourself." Dean spoke and squeezed me a little tighter. "It wouldn't have mattered what you said, Max was too far gone."

"When I think about how he looked at me, right before," I pulled away from Dean and shook my head. "I should've done something."

"Come on, you risked your life. I mean yeah, maybe if we had gotten there 20 years earlier." Sam shook his head.

"I'm just lucky I had you guys, and your dad." I nodded.

Sam and Dean glanced at each other.

Dean gave a little grin. "Well, I never thought I'd hear you say that."

Sam nodded. "She's right Dean. It could've gone a whole other way after Mom. A little more tequila and a little less demon hunting and we would've had a child hood like . . ." Sam stopped and glanced at me as I looked at him. "All things considered, we turned out okay. Thanks to him."

Dean glanced at me as I shook my head, getting into the Impala and slamming the door.

I watched as Dean said something to Sam, but I couldn't make out his words.

Sam rubbed his forehead before going around to the other side of the Impala, getting in first.

"I'm sorry Kylie, there's nothing wrong with you I just meant-"

"I know what you meant." I nodded, tears still welding up in my eyes. "Maybe you'll think of John a little more differently now." I sniffled and wiped a tear that fell as Dean got it.

--------------------

We got back to the motel, packing and ready to head out.

"I'm going to take some bags down." Sam said gently, not quite able to look at me as he headed out the door.

I picked up my bag, ready to take it down when it was taken from my hand.

"I got it." Dean said softly as he put it on his shoulder, gathering the rest of the things around the room.

I sat down on the bed and ran my sweaty palms over my jeans. "Do you think I'm going to turn out like Max?"

Dean glanced at me, a brow raised. "A killer?"

I sucked in a breath and shook my head. "Broken." I cleared my throat. "So broken that no one could save me and I end up . . ." I trailed.

"I wouldn't let that happen." He spoke firmly.

"You know I could one up you." I tried to joke, but a smile couldn't reach my lips.

"And you know I have no problem locking you up somewhere to protect you." He dropped the bags on his arms and came over to kneel in front of me. "You're not Max."