Chapter 17

Sorry for the short chapter! Happy holidays and have a great day.

***

Nomad Rule #5: Stick with those you trust

**| Sang's POV |**

We didn't have to wait long for Marc to come back with the doctor in tow. While we did wait, Luke kept Gabriel distracted, talking about the food he wished he could eat. He was making me miss some hot foods too.

Most days, I was eating dry goods like crackers and nuts, or cold sandwiches. I only got warm food when I went to the soup kitchen and sometimes I got there late, when they ran out of food. Wil tried to feed me as often as he could but I only saw him three times a week and he knew I wouldn't accept anything more than a meal from him.

There was a banging noise and then Marc strolled in with Sean behind him. Sean sent me a quick smile but focused on Gabriel, his expression serious. This was Doctor Sean Green before me, not that smiling, playful Sean I met earlier today.

"What happened?" Sean asked as he came over to us. I moved so he could get a better look at Gabriel.

"The fucker had a knife and got me," Gabriel said.

"Yeah, and the fucker is currently tied up in the crate," I said, ignoring Gabriel's wince and Sean's raised eyebrow as I nodded towards the crate.

"Damn it, Sang. Stop it," Gabriel whined, closing his eyes. His skin was a little pale but that was all.

"I don't give a damn what you want me to do. I told you already. I will if you do." I stood up, brushing my knees. Memories surfaced of my stepmother holding me down on my knees, the rice biting into my skin. I shook those thoughts away before they could consume me.

"Sang?" Sean asked, his head tilted to the side.

"Yeah?" I asked.

He frowned. "Did you hear me?"

Oh. "Sorry, I missed what you said."

"I asked if you got hurt too during this...whatever it is you're doing here."

I shook my head. "I'm fine. Just Gabriel and the man they were trying to kidnap."

"Good," Sean said and focused on Gabriel. The next few minutes were long as he stitched Gabriel up. He swore a couple of times and sent glances at me. I just raised an eyebrow at him, as if wondering what was wrong.

I could let him swear while getting stitched up.

"We should have done this at the hospital," Sean complained again.

"And have social services there?" I asked. "He's still technically under aged."

Sean opened his mouth but then closed it, sharing a look with Marc.

My eyes narrowed.

"What are you hiding?" I asked Marc.

"Nothing," he said.

I clenched my teeth and began pacing, wanting to slip away but Gabriel was hurt and I was concerned for him. Plus I was curious about Sean. He came to help, knowing he wasn't going to get anything in return for it.

"You know, Pookie, I can let all of you spend the night at my place. I have the space."

I stopped moving and stared at the doctor.

"What?"

"I think he just offered us a warm place to stay," Marc said.

I shook my head. "No, thanks."