Chapter 119

Tada! Seven chapters left to go!

***

**| Sang's POV |**

I was playing with Sprinkles when I heard the guys calling me. I held Sprinkles close and went out into the living room.

"Look," Luke said, grinning wide. I turned to the TV and noticed a news anchor going on about breaking news. I couldn't hear her over the excited pounding of my heart so I relied on the words flashing across the screen.

Remis Vulcan, owner of Microware Communications, has just been arrested. All his known locations were hit at once and everyone taken in for questioning, those deemed innocent about the real Vulcan would be released, the others would be brought up on the same charges as Vulcan, depending on what they're found guilty of doing.

I settled down next to Axel and Raven as my eyes glued themselves to the screen. Raven moved closer, resting his arm along the back of the couch and I could feel his body heat, drawing comfort from it as I watched the news. For the next couple of hours, we watched as more information came in. One of his warehouses held guns he was about to sell, they were able to find his bogus financials and the real ones. He had a lot of money he needed to account for.

They also found some women he was getting ready to sell off. Vulcan had a lot going on behind the scenes and he was cunning enough to keep it all hidden for so long. The evidence was damning, and still, I worried.

"Stop biting your lip," Victor said.

"Sorry," I mumbled and then bit harder when, once again, they showed a photo of the man. I shivered, remembering who he really was because the man on the screen looked like he could be a national hero. Sprinkles licked underneath my chin, as if sensing my fears.

"Why do they never look bad?" I asked no one in particular, hold the skunk closer to me.

"By looking as normal as possible," Owen said. "It allows them to blend in, and having a face like his makes it easier for others to trust him easily. He then uses that trust against them."

I nodded. I knew exactly what Owen meant. Vulcan had the ability to make a deal with the devil and come out ahead in the end. He enticed people, dangled what they wanted most in front of them and by the time they realized what was going on, it was too late. He owned them. My father fell into his trap. Vulcan tried to get me too.

How many more people were going to go down because of him?

"They could have all said no," Axel said and I met his dark eyes. He understood what I was thinking. "They had choices. Maybe their choices didn't go in the direction they wanted, but in the end they agreed to whatever deal they set up with Vulcan. They gave him the power over them."

"But—"

"You didn't," Marc said, cutting me off. "You fought against him, you got away."

I licked my lips. "He would have had me if Volto didn't help. I would have been in the same situation as the others."

"No," Marc said.

I nodded. "Yes. You know what he planned. I already stole for him. If I didn't listen, Victor would have been hurt."

"Sang, it isn't the same," Owen said in a calm voice. "Those other people, they went into it willingly. Maybe they didn't understand what they were getting themselves into, but they went willingly. You were kidnapped and forced every step of the way. That is the difference. If you went to court, you'd win. Those other people wouldn't. They agreed to do something bad to begin with."

"How do you know they were coerced like I was?" I asked.

"I looked at the documents," Corey said. "Those men who were arrested with him went to him knowing they'd do something bad, and they were okay with it. They just didn't realize he'd use that against them. Some of those people have background that aren't exactly the best. Little minor things that create a big picture, painting them as criminals even before Vulcan. He just used them to his advantage. You, you're innocent."