Chapter 44

Thanks for the wait! Just so you know, my family is coming to visit for a couple of days so I probably won't be able to get anything updated until the middle of next week. I don't know, depends on how much writing I can get done with two crazy little nieces. My nephew is fine, I trained him well, but those two munchkins are only 2 and 3 years old and I haven't had the opportunity to corrupt them yet.

So enjoy and let me know what you think. Your support has been amazing.

***

**| Sang's POV |**

We were currently crouched down, hiding from the guards at the first checkpoint. We hid in the shadows behind a massive support pillar and we were underground in a maze-like tunnel, with branches here and there. Not many cars drove past but when they did, we were ducking and using the shadows to stay out of sight. We've hid from cars two times so far.

My nerves had my body shaking slightly and my muscles tight. While making our way here, Ailee had kept a tight grip on my upper arm in fear, digging her nails in each time we had to get out of sight of a car. I knew when I checked my arm later on, there were going to be dark bruising and maybe even some blood from where her nails broke through my skin.

Our group stared at the checkpoint, which consisted of a large booth and a security gate expanding the entire tunnel. On both sides of the gate was what looked like a massive metal detector arcing over the road.

Kevin shifted so he crouched closer to me.

"Cars drive through the detector and if alarms don't sound, as in they have the chip in the car, the gate will open and they can drive through," he whispered into my ear. I nodded as Luke shifted closer to me, the heat of his body permeating my back.

"So we just need to get through there. Will the detectors set off the alarms if we go through them?" I asked.

Kevin shook his head. "You made it through, didn't you?"

I nodded but I was also in a car with the chip.

"We should be fine. I think it just detects if cars have the chip in them and probably for bombs and weapons."

"How do you know so much?" Kota asked, staring at Kevin.

He smiled softly, sadness etched into the way his lips curled up. "A lot has happened this past month. I'll fill you all in after we get out of here." Kevin stilled and cocked his head to the side as if listening to something.

"What?" I asked, knowing he was listening to whoever was on the other end of his earpiece.

"In five minutes, one of the guards will leave to do a security check of the tunnel and the parking garage. We'll need to hide and then use that time frame to sneak past the other one. The guard will be back in about ten minutes after leaving."

Luke's eyes narrowed as he stared at our current setup. I could see the gears spinning. "Do you think you can climb the gate to get over or are we going to need to open it?" he asked.

"I can climb it," I said confidently. I was good at climbing.

Ailee nodded. I've taught her how to climb trees and gates around the city. If she met a bad John, I wanted her to be able to get away so I learned different routes of escape and then showed her them. Many of them including going up a building. Not many thought to look up when chasing after someone.

Everyone else nodded and the decision was made. We were climbing over the gate.

"Maybe create a distraction, something to draw him away after the other guard leaves," Kota said.