Chapter 47

Next chapter! Enjoy. And I'm planning on updating again later.

***

**| Axel's POV |**

I watched the scene before me with my arms crossed over my chest as the Academy police officers arrested Dr. Jackeline Evers and dragged her to one of the police vehicles currently taking over her driveway and blocking off the road.

Red and blue lights filled the early morning sky. Another two hours and the sun was going to rise and another day was going to pass.

I rubbed at my tired face.

At least those who got sleep would be starting their new day. My team was going on two days of no sleep. The other night we took down the drug houses and reprimanded the dealers. Marc, Luke, and Gabe were upset we didn't find some guy named Rocky. We did get a man named Eric, but not someone named Greg.

Apparently, Rocky has been harassing Sang for a few years now and the three team members were worried he wasn't ever going to stop until he got his hands on Sang.

Then we went right into planning how to keep Kota and Luke as safe as possible despite handing them over to the bad guys. The plan still made my stomach curl. I hated using people as bate. It never sat right with me. I guess that just told me I was human.

Sometimes I wasn't sure because as team lead, I have to make the hard choices, the ones others wouldn't want to make, and then I have to deal with the fallout when my team doesn't like my choices or if it goes sour.

I pinched the bridge of my nose, feeling a pulsing headache slowly grow into a migraine.

Half the team was not happy when I put Sang on the back burner. She quickly became important to a few of them.

Sang. A Nomad. Her name for the homeless people in Charleston, though I don't think all the homeless people had that title in her eyes.

I watched the police tuck Evers away in the cruiser, slamming the car door shut. Again, my thoughts turned to Sang instead of focusing on the task before me.

I didn't know what to think about the petite woman. She was so small and yet her eyes held strength and courage not many had. Through the reports, I was able to piece together the life and struggles of Nomad Sang. And yet I wasn't prepared for meeting her.

She threw me off the moment I saw her.

I knew right away why Marc was so easily captivated by her and frankly, it scared the fuck out of me. She scared me.

I saw how some of them looked at her. A few of the Toma and Blackbourne team members were interested in her. I wasn't sure in what way but they definitely cared about her.

She had the power to tear apart my family, tear apart the men I worked so hard to keep together despite our differences.

"Are you okay?" Marc asked, coming to stand by me as we watched the police officers tear apart Evers house for evidence.

We won. She was locked up now and with all the evidence we had, there was no way she was ever going to be free again.

I had the believe that.

The system was going to win.

At least this time.

"Yeah, let's go to the hospital."

I needed to see Kevin. To see him alive and safe. These last few weeks have been hell, knowing he was missing and not knowing if he was going to be another dead body found in the harbor.