Chapter 34

Woohooo!!! This chapter came out so much better than I expected. Phew! Enjoy the solid 3k words I wrote for you and let me know what you think! We are entering Phase II of my story. (Yes, I broke up my story up into phases, there are three. So a lot more still has to happen!)

***

Nomad Rule #10: Double check freely given items

**| Sang's POV |**

We took over a bench at a park, each of us lost in our own thoughts. I stuffed my hand into my sweater pocket and my fingers ran over the edge of the small card in there. I only gave them one of the numbers I found last night. I managed to find two and decided to keep one for myself. The number I had didn't match the other one so if they screwed up using that number, I still had a chance with the one I had.

Plans filtered through my mind. Some I dismissed as crazy, others I tucked away to mull over as possibilities for later. I was going to get to the bottom of this even if they weren't going to help. From what I knew about them, they would me though, but not without a fight and maybe some fights because they wouldn't want me to be part of the plan at all.

I glanced over at Luke as he stared up at the sky. Every few minutes he would laugh and point up at a cloud and mention how it looked like a piece of candy. So far, he's found a Kit Kat, Snickers, Hershey's chocolate bar, a Twizzlers, and a Rolo. I looked each time but I never saw what he saw.

"Oh! Dove chocolate bar," Luke exclaimed and pointed up at a cloud.

I leaned towards Marc who was sitting on my other side. "Is he okay?" I asked, a little concerned for Luke's sanity.

Marc chuckled and nodded. "He's fine. He just hasn't had sugar for too long. I give him another two hours before he gets cranky."

"We can go to the author event. Maybe they'll have chocolate there," I mused and Luke's head whipped around as he stared at me with wide, needy eyes.

"Will they?" he asked, no, pleaded. Hope sparked his eyes.

"Uh," I glanced at Marc who pretended to not be paying attention despite the curl in his lips to show his amusement. "Possibly. We will have to go to check."

Luke nodded and stood up. "Let's go then."

I smiled. "It doesn't start until this evening."

His expression fell and he plopped back down on the bench.

"Get over it," Gabriel said. He was laying on the grass behind us, his arms tucked behind his head as he hummed songs.

Luke got up and walked over to Gabriel. "I'm so hungry. When will we be able to eat again?" he asked, stretching out next to Gabriel.

"You're all hungry?" someone said and we all turned to take in an elderly woman. She was being escorted by a man who was probably her grandson. He frowned as she looked at us with understanding eyes, taking in our clothes, our pile of book bags, and probably the dirt on our skin.

I stiffened and Marc gave me a curious look.

"We have takeout but I bought more than I needed to. I can give you the extras," she said.

"Ma," the man standing next to her said. "You shouldn't give them food."

"Hush, boy, or I'll tell your mother she raised a greedy young man."

His cheeks flushed and I felt for him. She snapped her fingers for the massive bag he was carrying and he lifted it, cupping the bottom so she could dig inside.