Chapter 42

Goodness WP doesn't like me. I had to figure out how to update this on my phone. Anyways, here you go!! Enjoy.

***

**| Sang's POV |**

"Saaaaaaaang!" Mac called out, running towards me. I lifted my hands to ward him off but he didn't care and tackled me onto the damp grass. "Thank you!" he said, his face resting on my chest in that innocent way only kids could get away with.

I patted his dark curls as he grinned at me.

"For what?" I asked, shifting so we were both sitting up now. He settled down next to me, his legs stretched out before him as his feet swayed from side to side, bumping into each other.

"The jacket! The old ladies told me you got the jacket they asked for and they gave it to me."

My heart twisted and warmed at the same time. The jacket was for him. I didn't even know that. I usually stayed away unless I was sharing supplies with people. The old ladies he mentioned give me a small list each week with requests and the jacket was on there.

"I'm glad."

He nodded. "Now I can stay warmer when it rains." He grinned at me, his hazel eyes filled with pure happiness.

"You know, you could stay warm—" I stopped at the look on his face. Nothing I said was going to get him to go back to his foster parents. These parents were good ones too. He admitted that much, but he felt worthless and a burden so he ran away a few months ago. I kept hoping he would go back, even if he brightened my days up.

He stayed at Tent City for the most part and everyone pitched in to take care of him. They were slowly talking him into going back home, knowing just sending him back won't do any good if he doesn't want to be there. He would just run away again and probably avoid everyone.

For the most part, the ladies have managed to talk kids into returning home or speaking up against what has happened to them, but sometimes, we get stubborn ones like Mac. For an eleven-year-old boy, he sure knew what he wanted to do.

"Will you listen to me? I'm going to sing at the train station later today but I want your opinion first."

I smiled at him as he got to his feet and stood before me, his eyes focused as he remembered the words to the song he wanted to sing.

Then he opened his mouth and began singing, the most beautiful sound coming out of his lips. His words wrapped around my wounded heart and slowly healed it, helping me believe that not everyone was selfish and only looking out for themselves.

**

"Time to go," Kevin said, waking me up from my dream.

I sat up from the cot, wondering when I fell asleep. I rubbed at my face.

"Are you okay?" Kevin asked. "You don't look too well."

"I'm a little sick," I replied through my hands before dropping them into my lap.

"And you still came here?"

I shrugged. Being sick wasn't an excuse to forsake people when they needed your help.

He eyed me, seeing the determination in my face. "Alright," he said. "Ready to get out of here?"

I nodded, dragging myself to my feet and walking over to the door, pulling the screwdriver out from the waist of my jeans. I stared at the hinges on the door before starting with the bottom one, wedging the screwdriver between the bottom knuckle and the pin. I tapped the screwdriver with my palm, ignoring the pain shooting through my hand. I had to do it a few times before I could remove the pin and disconnect that part of the door from the frame.