Chapter 54

An update! AcademyPrincess!! Enjoy.

***

**| Sang's POV |**

The author was just finishing up answering questions when I slipped out. The moment I woke up, I knew today was going to be an off day and so far I've been correct. Everything just felt...wrong. I kept glancing around, my instincts telling me something was up, I just didn't know what. It was making me anxious and paranoid.

Of course, it could also be because tomorrow was my birthday. I would be eighteen.

The plan for tonight was to stay at this small playground, long forgotten because all it had was one slide and two swings. I would normally just go to the playground I've been using with the boys but I needed to break habit for two reason. One, because of the boys, and two, because of my father.

The playground was on a small side-street surrounded by houses belonging to the lower class. There was another bigger, newer park nearby that kept them from the one I was headed towards.

I was only a couple blocks away when I saw a familiar guy rushing by.

"Roger?" I called out.

Bray's father stopped and turned to me, his expression worried, his grey eyes looking a little lost.

"Sang?" He glanced around before rushing to me. "Can you help me?"

I stepped away, putting distance between us. He was Bray's father and she was an absolute delight, but I didn't want him in my personal space.

"What's wrong?"

"Bray is at some self-defense class and she needs to be picked up but I need to go meet with someone. If I don't go, I might not get the job."

I narrowed my eyes. "Is this job safe?"

He nodded. "Just as a security guard at a warehouse. It's a safe job, I promise."

I nodded. "Where is she?"

"That new gym out near North Charleston. Two men opened it and have been giving women and children free lessons on self-defense. Let's see...the address..."

I shook my head. "I know where you're talking about," I said and he broke out in a wide smile. "Thank you so much! You can drop her off at Tent City. They'll watch her for me."

I nodded and watched as he rushed off, thoughts already on his interview. He disappeared around a corner and still I stood there. Bray was getting lessons from Raven and Nathan. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

Seeing those two wasn't exactly what I wanted to be doing but Bray couldn't stay in that area for long without someone to watch over her. My shoulders hunched as I changed directions, heading out towards the place. Maybe I could just catch her when it was over and she walked outside, then I wouldn't have to see them.

The walk was quick as I kept my hands in the pockets of my shorts. Evenings were cooling down a lot, but not by much. I remembered how cold Illinios got in the fall, letting you know winter was coming. Here in Charleston, it seemed winter skipped right over us.

I missed the snow, especially the smell when it fell. I missed the crispness in the air, as if I could finally draw in a full breath.

When I came to the street, I stared at the nondescript building. The double doors were propped open to allow fresh air inside and I could hear a man's accented voice yell out commands, soft rock music playing in the background. I pressed myself against the door and peeked in, taking in the scene.