Chapter 33

Thank you for your patience. I had decided last minute to switch POVs and it took a bit to do. Also, I really wanted to get something to you tonight but I'm also really tired so I apologize for any mistakes. I kept writing nonsense near the end, but I think I got rid of it all. Enjoy!

***

**| Marc's POV |**

I felt like face-palming myself right now. This was not supposed to happen. The moment I heard the loud banging when we were waiting on the fire escape, I knew Owen got himself into trouble.

Now we were standing in an alley with three men knocked out on the ground and Cocoa giving Owen a stare down. Owen just smiled back at her, doing that millimeter smile that somehow still managed to attract the female population around him.

I watched Sang wondering how she was going to react to him. Her frown deepened before she looked down at the man closest to her feet.

"What happened?" she asked in a soft voice.

Owen looked at me and I just shrugged. He was on his own with this one because I was wondering the same fucking thing. What the hell happened? How did he get caught? He was only supposed to hang around as back up tonight since we didn't know what to expect, but instead he's the one in the middle of things.

"I was wandering around and they pulled me into the alley." He shrugged. "Then we fought and you guys came. Again, I want to thank you for your assistance." He turned to us and sent what I think was supposed to be his thankful smile.

I shook my head in warning and he dropped the expression. Thankfully, Sang was still staring hard at the man at her feet. Gabe inched closer to her, ready to pull her back if he decided to wake up.

"No problem," Luke said to continue on the conversation before it got weird. He flashed Owen a quick smile, the humor filling his eyes. He was finding this way to amusing.

"I'm Owen," Owen said, holding his hand out to Luke, like we were in some kind of business meeting.

Why was it him backing us up tonight? Oh right, because Silas and Axel were too big and intimidating, and Sang met the others in our group. If Silas or Axel were out here, they probably would have gotten into a fight with just a glance, even if Silas was a gentle giant.

"Marc," I said, shaking his hand.

"Luke."

"Gabriel."

Owen looked at Sang as the silence fell around. What about the man stole all her focus? I moved closer and it caught her attention.

She looked up at us, confused.

"Oh." Her cheeks turned a slight pink and I fought to hold back a smile. "Sang," she mumbled.

Her eyes inched back towards the man and she leaned forward. She reached out slowly and lifted a strand of his hair that was covering his face. Whatever she saw had her face going ashen as she backed up quickly, her mouth popped open in disbelief.

"Sang?" I called out, looking over the man, trying to find what about him freaked her out. Did she know him? He was unremarkable. Long dark hair, a bushy face, dark and dirty skin. "Are you okay? I asked her.

She shook her head. "This doesn't make sense."

"What doesn't?" Owen asked. "What exactly is going on here?"

Sang pointed down to the man on the ground. "He's on of the members of The Gentry, a gang who has been focusing their efforts on gaining control of Goose Creek. I don't understand why he's here."