Chapter 46

Thank you for reading and being such amazing and dedicated readers. Here's the next chapter. Enjoy!

***

**| Sang's POV |**

We ran. We ran and we stumbled through the dark, trying to put as much distance between the facility and us. We could still hear the alarms echoing through the night air.

My left arm brushed against a branch and I winced at the pain.

"Almost there, Cupcake," Luke said running on the other side of me, keeping pace with me as Kota and Raven assisted with Kevin. He now carried the bag with the copied files so that Ailee could focus on staying on her feet as we stumbled through the darkness, Nathan there to help her when needed.

The only light source was the huge moon in the sky, giving us just enough to know that the pitch black shadows were some kind of obstacle.

My breathing was labored and I was exhausted. I just wanted to lay down and go to sleep. To just rest.

Just a little bit longer.

One step in front of another.

Keep going.

I could do it.

I needed to do it.

For a meeting point only half a mile away, this was taken a long time. At least it felt like it was taking too long. I'm sure only about ten minutes have passed or something but it felt like an entire day should have come and gone by now.

"They are just ahead," Kota said. I could see a faint light. It flickered, stopped, flickered again like Morse code.

Wait, that was Morse code.

"Over there," Kota said.

Nathan used a flashlight he had but didn't want to use in case guards saw it and used Morse code to reply black.

"Thank fuck," a familiar voice said.

I stumbled to the ground, branches biting into the palm of my hands. Luke helped me back up to my feet and we walked the rest of the way as I tried to catch my breath, my side hurting. We didn't run very fast but it was still a pace I couldn't keep up with in my state.

"Crazy girl," Gabriel's scent wrapped around me as he pulled me into a hug. "What the hell were you thinking, raiding the fucking compound?"

I pushed him away reluctantly, ignoring the flash of hurt on his expression. "I was thinking Ailee needed me," I said.

I looked around, spotting Sean already checking over Kevin. Raven hovered over Kevin with a frown, concerned for his friend. Owen and North stood nearby.

Gabriel was in front of me with Luke right next to me still. He never left my side during our hike here. Ailee stood off to the side with Nathan.

"We need to leave," Owen said. "Mr. Toma is working with the rest of our team to get a raid organized. We need to get them the copies of the research to get an appropriate warrant and we need to act fast. If they suspect this is more than just patients breaking out of the facility, they might try to pack up and leave."

Everyone moved around getting themselves organized.

Raven herded me into one of the two jeeps, crowding me in between him and Nathan. Gabriel made a huffing noise before climbing into the front where Owen was driving.

Luke, Kevin, Ailee, and Sean got into the other jeep with North taking the driver's seat.

Owen drove away and I glanced behind us to where Ailee was and saw North following us. They drove slowly with the headlights off, making sure to stay on the dirt road.