Chapter 41

Thanks for your patience. I reached my writing goal for today so here is an update. I'm tired so i apologize for any mistakes. Thanks for reading and let me know what you think!

***

**| Sang's POV|**

The only unlocked door in the hallway was a small closet filled with basics like pillows and blankets, along with other random supplies. I eyed everything, trying to think of a way to pop one of the doors opened.

Not wanting to get caught if someone decided to come here, I closed the door and used one of the towels to block out the light at the bottom of the door to keep the light inside.

I thought about the doors and how it was set up. The doors looked heavy and thick, hard to just kick down. There were two deadbolts on the outside, a clear giveaway to them keeping someone inside. Then there were was only one lock, pretty basic. I searched the shelves for inspiration until I found it sitting in a toolbox tucked away in the corner.

I kneeled on the tiled floor and opened it, quickly finding what I needed. I unhooked the smaller Allen wrench from the huge key chain it hung on. I also grabbed a flat head screwdriver, tucking it into the waist of my jeans. It took me longer to find a paperclip, only finding one when I found a box full of files. My curiosity told me to look through the pages, but my brain said no. I only had so long before someone decided to come here and I didn't want to be caught out in the open. I grabbed a roll of packaging tape on one of the shelves, tearing off a small piece and then sticking it to my pants.

Slowly, I opened the door, listening as I glanced up and down the hallway. Again, empty. I went to the closest door and put my ear against it, listening for signs of life. There was a small ruffling sound. Someone was in there.

I shoved the short and flat part of the Allen wrench into the bottom part of the keyhole. I turned the wrench slightly to add a bit of pressure to the lock in the direction the key would turn to unlock it. Then I stuck the paperclip in, lifting it back and upwards. I added in a circular motion while increasing the pressure on the wrench until I heard the click of the door unlocking.

As I threw back the two deadbolts, I didn't think about how I knew how to do this. I wasn't proud of myself for learning but sometimes, desperation makes you do crazy things, like breaking into a restaurant just for some food. This was also why libraries were the best free educational institutes people could find.

I pushed open the door, looking into the dark room. The light from the hallway casted light into the room, showing only a cot in the corner of the room with the shape of someone laying on it. In the corner near the door sat a large bucket.

My nose wrinkled at the smell. Unwashed human, pee, and other things I don't want to put a name to. I took the tape off my pants and put it over the latch bolt of the door knob before stepping inside. I looked off to the side and found a switch. I reached over and flicked it on before closing the door.

I heard a click and a weird whooshing noise coming from the door when it closed. I tried the knob and it opened still so I just left it alone. I turned back to the figure on the bed, tucking the wrench and paperclip into my pocket.

A man lay there, his wide bare wide back to me. The blanket was at his waist giving me a clear view of his dark skin and the long marks covering his back. He stirred and I froze, stopping myself from moving.

His short dark curly-haired head shifted slightly.

"I know you're there," he said in a deep croaky voice. "If you're here for more games, I'm not in the mood."

I licked my lips, wondering what I could say to him. I wracked my brain but nothing came to mind. I blanked out.

He didn't turn to me as he talked to the wall.