Chapter 40

Yay! Got this done for you for today. I figured I made everyone wait long enough. Here's the next chapter. Enjoy!

***

**| Sang's POV |**

My plan didn't go further than making sure I didn't lose Ailee. Now I was stuck in the flatbed of a truck, bouncing around as they drove. I tried keeping track of the twists and turns but I only had the sky and the tall buildings to help me. It didn't take me long to get lost. The truck moved for a good hour before finally stopping. I poked my head up just long enough to get an idea of where we were.

I didn't recognize the area at all. We could have been anywhere. We were on a street filled with houses but only a handful had any signs of life. The others were old and broken, abandoned.

The doors of the truck closed and I slid over, hugging the side and hoping they didn't come back here and catch me. I didn't think they would take too well to learning someone hitched a ride in their truck and me getting caught would not be helpful to Ailee.

"Let's make the swap and get the hell out of here," one of the men said. His voice had a slightly high pitch with a nasal sound to it. I heard him shift and two more doors open.

There were a couple of grunting noises before they shuffled away. I peeked up from the back of the truck and watched as they carried an unconscious Ailee into the abandoned house. I looked around, no cars or anyone around.

I climbed out of the truck staying as quiet as I could and made my way towards the house, hoping they didn't decide to open the door as I made a sprint for the side. They would have a clear view of me if they decided to come out or even just glance through the window.

My eyes roamed over the house, looking for any signs that someone spotted me, but nothing. I made it to the side and pressed up against it, putting my hand to my chest. My body shook with adrenaline and fear but my heart steeled itself for Ailee. I couldn't back out now. I needed to find a way to get her away from them.

But what? How?

I slid against the wall paneling, making my way to the nearby window. A soft light glowed and I had to stand on my tiptoes to see into the crack of the boards put over the windows from the inside.

I could make out two figures moving around as shadows and Ailee laying on the floor, still unconscious.

A crunching noise caught my attention, the sound loud against the silent early morning. In another hour, the sun was going to come up but until then, I couldn't see into the shadows very well. A door slammed shut but there was still a gentle purr of the car running. I crouched down and made my way to the front to watch.

A huge figure approached the house, not noticing me. He went up the two steps and then did a series of knocks. A moment later, the door flew open and he went inside, a deep voice talking, but I couldn't make out the words.

While the car was still on, the headlights were off. I squinted into the car but couldn't see anyone waiting in it.

I took in a deep breath and slowly released it. I did it again. And again. Then I made a run for it, pumping my arms and legs hard, desperately needing to make it to the cover of the car.

My feet skidded against the gravel rock and I slid onto my side, the rocks biting into my skin. I was now on the passenger side of the car, furthest away from the house and safely out of sight. I allowed myself just a brief moment of relief to release the tension leaving my muscles in knots.

Now what? I really was only winging this, desperate to do something for Ailee. I didn't want them taking her. I didn't want to find her body in the harbor like Mac's.