Chapter 121

**| Silas's POV |**

Sang was getting lost in her head again. I saw it last night and hoped it was just because it was dark out and this was her first time camping. But now, in the morning light, she looked haunted.

The whole purpose of this trip was to keep her busy, and right now that wasn't working.

"Kota, how far is the lake?" I asked.

"It's not really a lake," Kota said. "More like a crater."

"And, where is it?" I asked.

"About two miles. We'll head there soon."

I nodded. "And you said they keep a canoe there for hikers?"

"Yeah."

"Good. I'm going to take Sang out when we get there. She needs a day out there. It'll calm her." I knew it calmed me. There was something about being surrounded by water that muted problems, made them seem like they didn't exist. I wanted to share that with Sang. I hated seeing her like this, like she was just waiting for another rock to be thrown at her.

Once everyone finished eating, we packed day bags with portable fishing gear and headed on a downward slope. I stayed with Sang, acting has a stable hold when steps were just a little bit to big for her to get down from.

Almost half an hour later, we pushed through some trees and came to a little slice of paradise. I kept my focus on Sang's reaction as her eyes widened and she glanced around at the glittering blue water, small beach sand, and the rocks surrounding the area. Kota had tried to explain how this crater that was more like a large pond came to be, something about a crater forming and then the water just being collected by all the rain that falls.

I didn't really care. I just wanted to take Sang out on it.

"Come on," I said, grabbing her hand and weaving my fingers through hers. Her hands were so small, mine ate hers up. I nodded at the others before bringing her over to the canoe someone had managed to bring up here.

I held her hand as she climbed in and then pushed the canoe off the sand and into the water. the water was to mid thigh, I got in.

Sang let out a little squeak as the canoe rocked and I chuckled, finding the balance before I tipped us over. North waded into the water and handed a bag to me.

"Water and food," he said and helped push me out. Once we were far enough away, I began rowing us further out, the entire time grinning as Sang looked around with wide eyes.

"This is so cool," she said.

"It's like we're in our own little world," I said and nodded in agreement.

"It's funny," Sang whispered, following the flight of a bird bathing in the water. "I feel like I know you all now, with everything that has happened, but I really don't." Her green eyes focused on me and I nearly lost the ability to breath with the vulnerability in them. "I know nothing about you. Favorite color, hobbies, family, nothing. You guys practically know everything about me now."

"You can ask me anything. You can always ask me anything you want. I'll answer honestly."

"Family? Do you have a family?" she asked.

I held back a wince, not really wanting to think about them. "My dad and older brother. Both are back in Greece right now."

"Back?"

I ran took a moment to focus on rowing, not sure how to answer. How did I tell this girl how fucked up my family history was. That my brother was a pyromaniac and accidentally killed our mother. That my dad had to take him back to Greece to get help and he left me here. Not that I wanted to live back in that country anyways.