Chapter 43

Seriously, WP, why won't you let me update the normal way. And what's worse is that it's only with this story, so far that won't let me update like normal. Here's to hoping it works. Enjoy!
***
**| Kota's POV |**
"Why the fuck did Luke just call out Sang's name? What the fuck is going on?" Gabriel snapped into my ear. I winced at his loud, confused voice.
"That would be because we just ran into Kevin and her," I answered. Luke was busy holding Sang in a hug, whispering something into her ear. She gripped his shirt, her eyes watering until she blinked the oncoming tears away.
"What the fuck?!" North boomed, nearly breaking my eardrums. "What the hell is she doing there?"
"Enough," Axel snapped. "Kota, what is going on?"
"We were making copies of some files and trying to find where Kevin could potentially be when we were heard people coming in. We hid in the closet. After they came in, Sang spoke and Luke jumped out of the closet to find Kevin and her breaking into the office."
"I feel like there needs to be a joke in there somewhere," Gabriel said. "And tell Sang she's fucking grounded. So grounded the exact moment I get my hands on her. She's Trouble. I fucking told you she's Trouble."
"Sang found Kevin? What is she even doing there?" Marc asked, cutting Gabriel off from his tirade.
"They took someone named Ailee," I answered.
"Fucking shit," Gabriel swore and my eye twitched at the sound. I was about to mute him.
"Doesn't explain how she got there," Dr. Green said. "Is she okay? How does she look? Is she injured?"
I looked her over as she stepped away from Luke with a wary expression. Dark circles decorated underneath her eyes and her hair was pulled back in a messy bun, strands sticking out everywhere. Her clothes were rumpled and hung on her small frame. The knee part of her jeans looked really thin and worn out.
"She looks fine, maybe tired, a little pale," I answered.
"Give Kevin the extra microphone and earpiece so we can talk to him," Axel said.
Luke kept Sang distracted while I hooked Kevin up.
"It's good to see you again," I told him.
He nodded. "Good to see you guys. I thought you forgot about me."
Marc snorted. "Naw man, we were just trying to find your crazy ass all over the damn city. We didn't know where you ran off to."
"You know me," Kevin said. "I never stay still for too long."
"Give me a report, how are you're doing?" Dr. Green spoke up.
"I'll live," Kevin said. "Just banged up."
Which was an understatement. His eye was sealed shut, only one of them good. His movements were stiff and he only moved when he needed to. I could see bruising peeking out of his t-shirt.
"Okay, we need to get everyone out of there," Axel said.
"First we have to find Sang's friend," Kevin said.
There was a long pause on the other end and I knew Axel did not like the sound of that.
"Sang got me out of there and we made a deal. I help her find Ailee, she helps me get out. I'm not going back on my word just because you guys finally showed up," Kevin said, his voice cold with anger. I winced at the sound and glanced over at Sang who was staring at Kevin with a questioning gaze.
How did she even get in here? How did Ailee get taken?
"Do it. We will make this work," Axel finally answered.
"I know you will. What was the plan in getting us out?" Kevin asked.
"Victor and Corey are working together in getting into the system. They are making headway but not quickly enough. For now just find Ailee and make your way to the garage. Hopefully we will have more news by then," Mr. Blackbourne explained.
"Sounds good," Kevin said.
With four of us in the office, we made quick work of copying files, making sure to have enough to take down Dr. Evers. Doing this was just as important as getting Kevin out. With his statement and the proof we found, she wasn't going to last to next week. When we finished, putting everything into a recyclable bag found in the office, we went into the hallway.
Twelve doors, six on each side. Luke was held in one near the elevator and I was next to him. That left ten more doors to check for Sang's friend.
Sang went to a door and put her ear to it. She then leaned over the doorknob. Luke watched her with interest and in just shy of a minute, the door popped open. Luke went in first but came out a second later.
"Empty," he said.
"Found keys," Kevin said, holding up a small key ring with five keys on it.
The next few minutes were spent checking rooms. Most were empty. One held a man who was sleeping off alcohol.
We got to a door in the middle on the opposite side I was held and Kevin opened it. A woman cried out and Sang shoved passed Kevin, using her small frame to slip inside.
A woman cried and I pushed Kevin's back to tell him to go inside. He shifted inside and I followed behind. Luke came in, closing the door before staring at the woman on the cot.
Sang held her close, whispering something into the woman's ears. Sang looked uncomfortable holding the woman but she held on while the woman—Ailee—sobbed.
"Sang, we need to get going," I said, stepping closer and keeping my voice soft.
She nodded and said something to Ailee. Ailee pulled away and wiped away her tears. She turned her brown eyes to me and I smiled politely to her. She was pretty with light brown hair tangled around her head. If I remembered the reports correctly, she sold herself for a warm bed at night and for meals instead of money.
"Come on," Kevin said, leaning against a wall. "We probably don't have long and we still need to get back down before anyone notices anything."
"The guards are all accounted for," Corey said into the mic. "They are all in the lower levels or outside. One guard came into the garage, glanced around and moved on, heading back to one of the security checkpoints. There is one guard on the floor above, but he hasn't made any attempts to leave the floor."
"Come on," Kevin said and we followed him back out of the floor.
"How did you get up here?" I asked.
"Elevator shaft," Kevin said and we went to the very end of the hallway where it opened up into a small room with the elevator. The elevator was propped open.
"Are we fucking climbing down that?" Ailee asked, her eyes wide.
"Yes," Sang said. "There's a ladder and I'll be right there with you."
Ailee nodded.
Luke went down first and I counted to thirty before sending Sang. Another thirty and then Ailee went. After another thirty, I began climbing down. Sang waited at the bottom looking up and watching Ailee as the woman carefully made her way down. When Ailee reached the bottom, Sang helped her into the elevator cart before going in after her. I reached the bottom and helped Kevin down, and then we lowered him into the cart.
He gritted his teeth, pushing away the pain as we lowered him down. The tightness in his expression revealed how much pain he was in but he breathed through it. When he was down, I hopped in.
Everyone got off the elevator and Kevin pulled out a screwdriver wedged in between the doors. I cocked an eyebrow. That was a good idea, though risky. We were lucky this part of the facilities was lax in security, their system relying on people having to go through the four security points before going into the garage.
"Alright, we are in the garage," I said to let everyone know our location.
"We weren't able to rework one of the cars to let you drive out of here," Axel said.
"Sang had mention us just walking out," Kevin said.
"Too risky. How are you going to slip past four security check-ins?"
Kevin grinned as he looked at Sang. "I'm sure we can figure it out. Most of us know how to be sneaky anyways."
"Alright," Axel said, his voice filled with exhaustion. "Alright. Head to the first check-in. Victor and Brandon are going to work on providing a distraction so you can slip through. And avoid the cameras. We created a delay from the cameras but we don't want to risk you guys getting spotted. The cameras in the garage are monitored by those in the first checkpoint you'll come to."
Luke rubbed his hands together as he grinned at Sang.
"And we've reached Phase II," he chuckled. "Time to abe sneaky."
Sang gave him a weak smile. "Something you're an expert at."
He nodded enthusiastically. "Of course, Cupcake. And I know you're just as good."
"Come on," Kevin said, eyeing the ceiling and leading us to points out of sight of the cameras. Corey helped with instructions and warnings on his end as we made our way out of the garage and into possible danger.
Not knowing what was going to happen had my anxiety up and knowing the risk was high didn't help. I stayed low and right behind Luke who carefully directed Ailee where to go and how to do it. Sang stayed up front, on Kevin's heels, her feet silent. In fact, everyone was silent, even Ailee. Kevin told the truth, we knew how to be quiet.
Now to get out of this place and shut down Evers's operation.