Chapter 89

I hope you enjoy. I'm not too sure about this chapter.

***

**| Sang's POV |**

I jerked awake when the van came to a stop. A hand reached out to keep me from hitting the seat in front of me. I followed the arm up into Victor's concerned face.

"Easier on the breaks," Victor warned, now looking at the driver.

"Sorry," Sean replied, turning to look back at us. His eyes skimmed over my body for signs of injury. "I'm still getting used to this darn thing."

I looked around and realized we were back at the safe house. Ailee stood on the porch, jumping from foot to foot, her eyes focused on the van. I knew she couldn't see us through the tinted windows but it sure felt like she did.

Victor pushed himself off the bench and walked over to the back, pushing open the door, Sean already out of the van and there to help.

With the two of them working together, they helped me climb out. With the adrenaline now gone and the fear for my life no longer an issue, I began feeling all the aches and pains of my body. Every movement pulled at my side, my bruises made themselves known with each step, and my ribs demanded some attention. Sean said they were cracked, but nothing dangerous.

When I asked if he would wrap them, he shook his head.

Apparently wrapping hurt ribs was a wrong move because it restricted breathing even more, and put me at risk for collapsing a lung or causing pneumonia. It may have eased the pain but the risks were so not worth it. I listened to him. He was a doctor after all.

That just meant I had to grit my teeth as I got out of the van and then Victor kept hold of me as we walked toward the safe house. I could feel in his body that he wanted to lift me up but he understood I needed to do this myself.

Once Ailee saw me out of the van, she came running over and would have tackled me in a hug if Sean didn't step in her way, bringing her to a halt.

"She's hurt badly, be gentle with her."

Ailee gave him a jerky nod before stepping around him and walking towards me slowly. Her eyes flickered over my features, taking in all my aches and pains. She sniffled, on the verge of crying as she fought her emotions. Her hands clenched at her sides and I knew she wanted to reach for me, to make sure I was real. I knew that feeling. So I did it for her.

When she got close, I pulled her into a gentle hug, putting some of my weight on her.

Her hands came up slowly and touched my back as she tucked her head into my shoulder.

"I thought they were going to find you dead," she whispered.

I patted her back, feeling awkward, but I could tell Ailee needed this. Maybe a small part of me needed this too.

"They can't kill me that easily. I'm like a cockroach."

She pulled away and laughed. "You may be right on that," she said and let me go. She grabbed my hand and led the way into the house.

I didn't have much time to do anything because the moment I stepped inside, Sean whisked me away, planting me on an overstuffed couch deep within the house. Ailee found a throw blanket and between her and him, they got me wrapped up in it. Victor disappeared, but not for long. He came back with a tray of tea and sandwiches not long after they got me settled.

"Movie night," Victor said as he placed everything on the coffee table in front of me.

"And then rest. Lots and lots of rest," Sean said, coming back into the room and handing my a couple of pills.