Chapter 123

**| Sang's POV |**

I was too busy grinning to fall asleep. I was curled in my tent, listening to the night, and unable to stop thinking about today. I had so much fun and everything felt so normal.

For once I didn't need to look over my shoulder for danger. I didn't need to worry about being chased by gang members, homeless men, strangers, and child services. I didn't need to worry about my next meal or about where I was going to sleep. This was peace. I hadn't really truly had it in a while and the guys were giving it to me now. I didn't even have to worry about the other nomads because I knew with the programs the guys put into place, they would be okay. They'd have food, clothing, shelter, and opportunities to get off the streets if they chose to.

I sighed and curled into my sleeping bag, the tent just big enough to fit me. I could hear the rustling of the guys around me, even some of them snoring. I smiled, liking that I could feel them all so close. They're tents were scattered around, but surrounding mine. If anything were to happen, I just needed to scream and they'd have my spot surrounded, ready to defend.

I was just dozing to the sound of the nightlife when rustling caught my attention. The sound didn't belong and caught my attention right away. I stilled, trying to pinpoint it. I heard it again, just outside my tent. Was Luke planning a prank? That would be the most likely, but I felt like it was late enough that he'd have already set his prank up at this point, or wait until it was a little later in the morning, just before everyone got up.

No. It couldn't be Luke. Something brushed against my tent and I held my breath as the scratching noise went around my tent.

"Sang," a robotic voice whispered.

Volto.

How did he find us? He was being bold right now. All I needed to do was scream and they'd get him.

"I just want to talk, I promise," he whispered, now standing near where my head is. The only protection I had was the tent. "I would never hurt you."

Said every psychopathic murderer in the world. His words weren't as reassuring as he probably hoped.

I sighed. I couldn't stay hiding in here and the guys were near. I felt safe enough to at least face him. And all my questions needed answers. Volto just didn't make sense to me. He put me in danger, but saved me. He had strong views, views he thought were right. And I desperately wanted to hear what he had to say. He had a story, a reason, and I wanted it.

I sat up and crawled over to the flap, unzipping it partially. A shadow stood in front, only inches away.

"Back away, or I'll scream." All I had to do was make a noise and the guys would be all over him.

He backed away. When he was further than a lunge away, I unzipped the tent all the way. Volto just waited, not trying anything. He even backed away further to give me space.

Raven had tried giving me a gun to keep in the tent with me, mumbling about bears and perverts. After my refusal to keep it with me, we settled on a knife. I grabbed the knife now, tucking it into the small of my back before crawling out quietly, aware of all the tents around us and the soft sound of the guys sleeping. I knew some of them could easily go from zero to a hundred. Corey said Raven was like that and no doubt Axel and Owen were the same. With Sean being a doctor, he'd be used to having his sleep suddenly interrupted too. Sleeping on the streets with the others guys, I knew Marc and Luke were the same. Gabriel would need a moment to grumble before he was awake enough to react. I wasn't sure about how the others guys slept.

I bit my lip, weighing my pros and cons. Volto was here. I could reach out and touch him. I really didn't want to waste this opportunity and the guys would scare him away. I pointed to the edge of the campsite, needing to take this risk. He didn't feel threatening to me, he wasn't leading an army of angry men to me. He just wanted to talk. For now.