Chapter Seven

Khushi, Payal, and Seema headed downstairs, curious to know who their guests were. Arnav, Akash, and NK were getting impatient and wanted them in the room immediately, wanting to see their faces.

Garima excused herself and got up and left the room. Just as the girls were about to enter the living room, she stopped them.

"Come with me to the kitchen," she said to them and they did.

The boys sighed in irritation. Almost! Almost, they yelled in their heads and they sunk into their seats.

Meanwhile, Khushi, Payal, and Seema were helping Garima, preparing tea and snacks for the guests. The snacks were eventually ready and Seema and Payal picked up the trays. They stepped out of the kitchen and were about to enter the living room. Akash and NK brightened up when they saw their faces, but then two maids called out Payal's and Seema's names. The two turned and the maids told them how Garima was calling them and that they would take the trays.

Payal and Seema simply shrugged and nodded, then gave the trays to the maids and went back to the kitchen. Akash and NK yelled in their heads and groaned lightly, low so that no one could hear them.

The tea was ready and Khushi was about to enter the living room, tray in hand. Arnav's face lit up and as she came closer and closer... but then she was stopped.

Garima placed her hand on Khushi's shoulder and told her to go upstairs and change, just like she told the other two. Khushi nodded and Garima took the tray and Khushi went upstairs.

Upstairs, Khushi was curious. She was walking to her room, having a weird feeling running through her. She didn't know what it was and was getting really anxious. All of a sudden, her heart raced up. She clutched it and stopped moving. She shut her eyes and took in a few breaths and then relaxed. She went inside her room and went through her closet, trying to find something good to wear.

One door down was Payal's room. She too, was having this weird feeling, her heart racing. She didn't know what it was and just ignored it.

Payal went through her stuff, looking for something wear.

While these girls were having their problems, Seema was having one of her own. Just like Khushi and Payal, Seema's heart was also racing. She shut her eyes to take in a deep breath, but the image in her head made her choke on her breath. She immediately opened her eyes and sat down in her bubble chair, catching her breath.

What am I thinking, she thought. She shut her eyes again and the same image came to her head. Her eyes sprang open and she thought she was going crazy.

No Seema, this is wrong, she said to herself in her head. Don't think like that. Just take in a few breaths and everything will be fine.

She did as she thought and then calmed down. She shut her eyes to take in a deep, long breath, but once again, the same image appeared.

She opened her eyes and looked side to side, trying to figure out what was wrong with her.

"Get a grip," she yelled aloud to herself. "How about you look for something good to wear." She got up and went through her clothes.

A few minutes later, all three girls came out, all of them in anarkalis. They headed downstairs, but Seema was still disturbed.

"Seema," Khushi said, "are you okay?"

Khushi had noticed how she was really quiet.

"She probably needs a Teddy right now," Payal teased and Khushi laughed.

Normally if Khushi and Payal were to make a joke like this, Seema would react, but she didn't.

The two noticed and scrunched their eyebrows.

"Seema," Payal said, placing a hand on her shoulder, "are you okay?"

No reply.

"Seema? Seema?!"

"Huh? Oh, no... I'm fine," she replied.

"Are you sure," Khushi asked. "If you're not okay, I'll tell Amma-"

"No Jiji, I'm fine. Shall we," she motioned.

The two weren't fully convinced but they agreed and walked ahead. Truth is Seema wasn't okay. She kept thinking again and again about why she kept seeing the same thing when she would shut her eyes.

Downstairs, poor Arnav, Akash, and NK were anxious to see their girl.

Where is she, all three wondered.

Shashi noticed their eyes wandering. "Would you three like to see the house?"

The three looked at him blank faced and shook their heads.

"Oh, don't be shy," Garima said. "It's okay." She turned in her seat. "Chutki!"

The Raizada's got curious. Who's Chutki, they all wondered. Soon, they all heard clinking and a little girl came running in.

"Ji Maji?"

"Come here," Garima motioned, and the little girl did. "This is Chutki," she said, holding her, giving her a little squeeze. "Several years ago, her mother used to work for us. She was pregnant and in time she had Chutki, but... because she had a few complications... she passed away a few days after giving birth to her."

Everyone felt bad for the poor girl.

"So I took it as my responsibility to raise her, but this little girl is so stubborn. She wants to stay here as a worker, nothing else."

Chutki smiled and Nani motioned her to come. Chutki did and Nani held her hands.

"How old are you Chutki betiyan," Nani asked.

"I'm twelve years old."

"Wow! You're a big girl."

"I want to be as big as Khushi Didi, Payal Didi, and Seema Didi."

Everyone smiled and just from hearing their names, Arnav's, Akash's, and NK's hearts skipped a beat.

"Chutki," Garima said, "would you be so kind and show these three gentlemen around the house," she asked, gesturing to the boys.

"Of course Maji," she piped back and she went over to the boys. "Let's go!"

The boys smiled and got up, not wanting to seem rude or anything. But the boys wanted to stay here and wait for the girls.

"Come on!"

The boys smiled and nodded, following Chutki as she led them out the room. A few seconds after the boys left the room, Khushi, Payal, and Seema came into the room.

"Namaste," all three said, putting their hands together.

Shashi made them sit down next to him and introduced them to the Raizada's.

They're beautiful, Nani thought. They would be perfect bahus!

They all talked and the girls began to feel a bit awkward, so Shashi let them go. The girls went out to the backyard and sat there, talking.

While the girls were here, Chutki was showing the boys around. They were half interested, half not. Chutki told them about the house and its history. After walking around a bit, she came to a halt and turned around to face them, her hands on her hips. The boys looked at her, confused. She motioned them to kneel. At first the boys were confused, but then she motioned them to again, and they did.

She looked them up and down. "So you three are the Raizada boys, huh?"

The boys scrunched their eyebrows.

"I may be young, but I know a lot."

They were even more confused.

"I know that Maji and Bapu want to join the family with your family."

The three raised an eyebrow.

"I also know that you three will be marrying Khushi Didi, Payal Didi, and Seema Didi."

"Aren't you one smart girl," Arnav said.

Seema looked up with pride. "Why thank you. Now then," she said, getting all serious, "wanna see them?"

"Now we're talking."

She smirked. "Then let's go."