Chapter Fourteen

"Alright students, time for you to pair up."

Payal was in her Biology class. She loved studying certain topics in biology and she was fascinated by it.

The class was an odd number of students, and Payal always chose to work alone. But little did she know that today would be different.

Someone cleared their throat and everyone looked up. It was... Akash? What in the world is a popular student like him doing in a class like this?

He walked in, feeling awkward and went to the professor. He gave her a note and she read it.

"I see," she said, once she finished reading. "Well then, welcome to the class Mr. Raizada. You're lucky - today we'll be working in pairs." she looked around the class. "Ms. Gupta?!"

Payal looked up and saw Akash, and she scrunched her eyebrows.

"You'll be working with Mr. Raizada," she continued, and Akash moved towards Payal.

He sat down in a stool next to Payal and she just simply gave him a faint smile.

"So," Akash began, "what's up?"

Payal was doing her work. "Nothing much," she replied, not looking up. "You?"

"Not much."

The professor instructed them what to do and everyone did their work.

"So, Payal... how's life?"

"Fine...? How's life in the spotlight?"

"Um... okay...? And why just fine?"

Payal smiled and shook her head with a shrug. "I don't know...?"

"How are things with life?"

"You sure are interested in life."

Akash looked side to side. He didn't know why, buy for some reason, he was getting nervous. "It's not really that. I just mean like... how are all of your relationships?"

"What?"

"I mean like, you know... friends, family... love...?" He searched her face for answers, but she looked confused.

She snapped out of her confusion and smiled softly. "Well... my friends are okay. I love my family. ... As for love...."

"Yeah...?"

"I don't know, I think love is confusing and complex."

Akash raised an eyebrow. "Love? Confusing and complex?"

"Yeah?"

"Love?"

"Uh huh?"

You think love is confusing and complex... and Biology isn't?"

"Not really. You just have to put your head to it."

Akash stared at her in amazement. "So why do you think it's confusing and complex?"

"Well... I mean the guy and the girl always have different things going on, like... I don't know how to exactly explain. Plus the guy is only concerned with the girl's butt and boobs and they just wanna have sex while the girl-"

"What do you mean the guy only wants sex? And it's not all about the butt-"

"Whatever. But it's just plain confusing and complex."

Akash just looked at her. "You know, sometimes I just don't get you girls. You girls are just so confusing."

Payal smiled. "Well you boys are crooked."

"What? Crooked? How are we crooked?"

Payal looked up at him. "What chromosomes make up a girl?"

"Uh...?"

"Two X chromosomes make a girl." She flipped her notebook to a fresh page and drew two x's. "Now which chromosomes make a boy?"

"Um, I don't know...?"

"An X and a Y chromosome," and she wrote an X and a Y. She wrote 'female' over the two X's and 'male' over the X and the Y.

"Okay? So three X's and one Y. So?"

"The letter X has two legs," she said, pointing at the bottom of the X's. "But the letter Y, has only one leg," she said, pointing at the Y. "Therefore, girls are stable, and boys are crooked, even genetically."

Akash just stared at Payal. Payal simply smiled and got up, taking her work, handed it to the professor, and turned to walk out the room. Akash thought about what Payal said. He looked up and watched Payal as she walked. She looked back at him and gave him a smirk, and then walked out the room.

Akash leaned back in his seat. "Sexy and smart. ...you're mine bio nerd," and he smirked.