Chapter Thirteen

"I hope you didn't waste your time while I wasn't here."

Everyone sat silently and stared at the professor.

"Now then," the professor continued, and he turned to face the rest of the class, when he saw a very amusing sight. He moved up the aisle and went through a row, standing in front of a student, who was lying their head down. "Well what do we have here?"

Arnav was asleep, resting his head on his arms on the desk. Akash slightly kicked Arnav under the table, but Arnav didn't wake up. He did it again, this time harder, and Arnav woke up and looked at Akash.

"What did you do that for," Arnav yelled, but he saw how Akash was looking straight up, as well as NK, who was sitting next to Akash, so he looked up and stood up immediately. "Uh, sir! I-I-I was uh... uh...."

The professor smiled. "Have a nice nap," he asked with fake concern.

"Nap? Oh, no sir... I wasn't-" 

"Your weren't asleep, right? No, no, it's okay. I'm sure you must've been really busy doing something."

Arnav looked side to side and saw how Khushi was smirking.

She looks so- but he was interrupted in thought.

"Mr. Raizada," the professor said, "could you tell me the formula of the quadratic function?"

"Um... did we learn that recently?"

"No, in fact this question is a Trigonometry question, you know, the topic we'll be reviewing for the next few weeks?"

As if it mattered what topic it was. Arnav sucked at math! Whether it was Pre-Calculus, or a page out of 5th graders workbook, he was bad at it.

"I'm waiting Mr. Raizada."

"Um... um...-"

"Um, um what, Mr. Raizada? Tell you what. Until this question is answered, the class won't be leaving."

Everyone groaned out loud. Everyone knew he would never be able to answer this and Khushi got frustrated. She tapped her foot impatiently as they all waited for him to say something.

"Um... it's... it's... um... I-I... I don't... I don't know sir," he said looking down.

"How sad," the professor said, making a face. "Well then we'll just have to wait until it is answered correctly."

The students' jaws dropped and they began to complain.

"Silence," the professor shouted, "now, try again Mr. Raizada."

Arnav looked side to side, desperate for help. "Um... it's... uh... um-"

"Oh for crying out loud," Khushi yelled and she stood up. "The formula of the quadratic function is negative b plus or minus the square root of b squared minus four times a times c all over 2 times a!"

Everyone looked at Khushi and she puffed out a few breaths.

"Thank you, Ms. Gupta, for that lovely outburst," the professor said.

Khushi felt embarrassed and she sank down in her seat.

"Since the question was answered correct," the professor continued, "I'll let you all go."

The students sighed in relief and got up to leave.

"As for you Ms. Gupta," he said, looking at Khushi. She looked at the professor and gulped. "A word."

She went to his desk as he went down the aisle. Arnav almost got out but the professor called him out.

"You too, Mr. Raizada."

Arnav stopped and went over to the professor, standing next to Khushi. He passed a glance at Khushi, while she looked straight at the professor.

"Well," the professor began, "since you, Mr. Raizada, couldn't answer correctly, and you, Ms. Gupta, gave that outburst, both of you... will be punished."

Khushi's jaw dropped. "But sir-"

The professor put a hand up. "Your punishment is that you, Ms. Gupta, will have to tutor Mr. Raizada."

"What," Khushi yelled. "No way, sir! I'd rather teach a rock!"

"Ouch," Arnav said. "I'm right here."

Khushi rolled her eyes. "Please sir! Please don't make me-"

"That's my final decision," the professor said. "Now you two may leave."

Khushi didn't waste a second and walked right out, Arnav following from behind. He ran in front of her.

"Hey, Khushi, I'm really sorry. Because of me-"

"When are you free?"

"What?"

"When. Are. You. Free?"

"Um... at 2-"

"2 o'clock. Study hall. I'll be at the front," and she walked away. She walked a few steps and then stopped and turned around. "Oh yeah, one more thing."

Arnav looked at her.

"You better be there," and she walked away.

Arnav gazed away at her as she walked away. Her hips swayed side to side, her hair bopping as she moved. "Oh don't you worry Khushi... I'll be there," he said aloud to himself and he smirked.