Chapter Ninety Six

Payal had driven over to the diner and stood by her car. She had been there 5 minutes already, when she saw Akash's car pull in. He came out and started walking towards her and she crossed her arms.

"I know you didn't call me here to eat so hurry up and say what you gotta say," Payal said.

Akash charged at her and held her arms tightly. "How could you do this to me?"

"Ah! Akash! Stop! You hurting me!"

"I don't care! How could you do this to me? To us?!"

She pushed him away. "I can and I will. And it's none of your business."

She was about to turn back to her car, when Akash stopped her.

"Akash, let go-"

"No I will not let go! How could you do this to me Payal?!"

"Because I can! There are important people in my life, who are much more important than you!"

"... what-"

"What do you think? That my life revolves around you? As if! My parents had made a promise to a man on who I would get married to, and now I'm fulfilling their wish."

She released her self and went to her car and just as she was about to unlock the door, Akash spoke.

"Fine. You wanna marry the guy? Fine. Go ahead. Go ahead and get screwed by someone else!"

"Akash!"

"Shut up! Just go screw yourself!"

Tears formed in her eyes. "... Akash-"

Akash just ignored her and drove home. He went storming in and his mother saw him.

"Akash bitwa?"

He stormed right past her and went straight up to his room.

"Akash bitwa!" Manorama went chasing after him, but he shut the door and locked it. "Akash bitwa! Akash bitwa!" But no dice, so she left him alone.

Akash sat on the floor in front of his bed and fumed. But as his blaze lowered, he began to cry. His phone was beside him and it lot up from a text he received from work. His background appeared: the picture of Payal - she was smiling lightly, looking shy in the picture, tucking her hair behind her ear.

He had kept this background since day one, just like his brothers had done with their girl. Akash stared away at it, and the anger built up, and he threw the phone, it slamming against the wall and it bounced back on the floor.

He felt betrayed, looking at the still-lit screen and tears came flowing down his face.