Chapter Two

I sat myself in silence, bringing my fork to my lips, and chewing as quietly as I could on the piece of chicken. My parents talked most of the time, just about things around the neighbourhood...or church. Or the fact that I must be doing very well on finals.

"What were those kids doing anyway, Willard? Was it necessary to cause a scene?" My mother asked, clearly annoyed by my father's tendencies to lose his temper with other people. But with us? His patience ran very long and far. My mother was the more protective paternal figure.

I stared, now suddenly interested in their conversation. Not only were Clary and I having a full on conversation about them, but we've also heard a few things from Clary's younger sister, Lillian. She seems to have been a part of their "groupies" -- the idiots that worship them.

Eyes stared at each other. Willie -- my younger five year-old brother -- munched down on the small pieces of chicken already sliced for him in comfortable pieces. He simply wasn't looking forward to the argument my parents were going to have. Although they're highly religious, marriage is a tough one for these two "caring" parents.

"Of course it was. I wasn't going to let those foolish kids disrupt the order of my restaurant." My father snapped back at her, more calm than usual actually, and she only stared back before rolling her eyes.

"And actually," my dad began once again, "Eliot's father even told me about their criminal records. Those three kids are dangerous."

My mother's eyebrows raised on her forehead in little shock. "Criminal records?"

A lump grew in my throat, but out of excitement -- if that makes any sense. I'm in awe from hearing these things. It's like I wasn't even at the dining table. About Eliot...he's the perfect boyfriend my parents have paired us up with each other since birth. The only main problem is I don't like him romantically...and he doesn't either.

He's gay. His parents will disown him for knowing such thing. They don't accept him just barely as he is...imagine being homosexual? I mean, there isn't anything wrong with liking the same sex kind-a-thing. His parents don't accept it, though. Neither do mine. He isn't your stereotypical gay guy, but he is certainly an amazing friend.

His parents -- more likely his dad -- work for the law enforcement on criminal filing. His mother has the upper hand...being able to know which kids are troublemakers and which are blessed with good hearts. She'll gossip on every juicy detail she knows about them.

It makes me want to throw a book of get your shit together at her.

"What's the curly one's name?" I asked suddenly, out of pure curiosity. My parents turned to look at me, and although I was a great liar, my interest failed to suppress itself from my features. I was too intrigued by this new information.

My mother's eyebrows furrowed. "Don't get involved, Serenity." She spat, rolling her eyes. "This is none of your business. I don't want you near those kids or any of their tattooed friends."

"Mom..I was just asking a simple question." I whined, and surely my mother didn't like the sound of my "mouth talk."

She pressed her lips into a firm line before sighing heavily in irritation. "Unless you want some soap in your mouth, keep your talking back down. I don't want to hear you ask about these boys."

"Your mother's right."

And there's my dad. He's like the p*ssy of the house. Always climbing on the bandwagon with my mother. I want him to wear the pants in this family, but he just simply refuses to do so. My mother literally scares him, and he's a foot taller than her. He annoys me with his weak little statements.