Chapter Twentyone

"Serenity, I've been trying to reach you for hours. It's been two days, where on Earth have you been?! And I hear a man's voice!" She screamed. I could picture her right now on the other side of that line.

Her face should be red, or a light pink, and she must have pursed lips and her chest rising and falling quite rapidly. Her anger must be the highest it's ever been. I'm sure her blood pressure rose to the occasion and her cholesterol is killing her based on how much food she ate while I was gone. She gets antsy and anxious when I defy her. I'm a little concerned for her. She's a bit psychotic. 

Maybe if I tried to talk to her, she'd control her anger. "Mom, I'm with a friend right now." 

"I don't care who you are with! I want you home right now! What has gotten into you? How dare you go out with a...an intoxicated Clary?!" Oh, so she knows. She did call Clary. "You don't answer any of my phone calls and you lied to me about going to the library! I'm so disappointed in your behavior! I need you home as of this moment right now!"

I bit my lip, contemplating what to say to my mother as Harry was leaned back on the couch with his hands behind his head. He looked up at the ceiling while I tried to have a normal conversation with my psychotic mother. A normal conversation would take a lot considering she's absolutely nuts.

"Mom, relax. I'm fine and I'm safe. I'm eighteen in a month or so. You don't need to be on my back twenty-four seven," I said to her, hanging up right away. I knew it was going to be a tough one going back home, so I was planning to stay somewhere, not sure where that somewhere is going to be. Emily's mom is best friends with mine, and she'd definitely scream a few things at me and tell my mother. Staying at Emily's is out of the question.  

There was no way I was ready to face my mother, and not after having such a good time with Harry so it can be ruined by my mother's furious yelling and her prayers to God that I'd change my behavior, even though she doesn't know even a hundredth of the things I've done. Not to mention the things she heard while on the phone. There was no doubt she had heard Harry, or my dumb ass for whimpering while completely out of breath. I was asking for the trouble.

My arms slipped right around Harry's neck again, his eyes looking up at me, a confused, goofy grin on his face. His eyebrows furrowed, his lips forming the curve of his dumb grin he's always looking at me with. 

"Um...so that's it? You just hung up on your bat shit crazy mom?" He asked, his arms loose around my waist. 

I shrugged, sighing heavily. "Let's just say I'm not planning on going home tonight." 

A moment passed before Harry tightened his hold on me, leaning off the couch and pressing his lips to the corner of my mouth. "Good," he whispered against my skin, "I didn't want you going home anyway."

Smiling, I threw my phone on the couch, causing it to bounce a little but it didn't fall off to the floor thankfully. I turned back to Harry, closing the gap between us again. 

_

We were back at Harry's house, the lights completely turned off, the house was filled with a silence that belonged in a horror movie. It was about midnight when we left, so I expected it to be around half an hour later. I stood on my tip toes, having taken off the heels in the car while we drove here. We decided to head back, knowing we'd be too lazy to drive back in the morning.