Chapter Thirtythree

Serenity;

Oh. My. God.

Everyone gasped or frowned, shocked or confused. Angry or -- judging by Uncle Tom's sneaky smirk -- amused. The adults were trying to process everything while the adolescents snickered or gaped at me. My mother was livid, almost roasting me into steak with her eyes. I could see the anger in my father's face, burning into me like I was the daughter of Satan. I've destroyed any hope of redeeming myself in the eyes of my parents.

"Oh my --, Francis call poison control!" Samantha was the first to react to all of this, her seat screeching against the wood as she pushed it back. Uncle Francis jumped from his seat and ran to his phone that was placed on the kitchen island.

The room was spinning for me. Emily was gaping at me while I panicked in my seat. Everyone was quickly recovering from their moment of complete shock.

"Are you kidding me right now!? Birth control pills!?" My father screamed furiously.

Mom was already picking up Willie from his seat, glaring at me while she did it. Dear God, I'm going to be shipped to Texas in a dog cage because that's what I deserve after all I've caused. I wish life didn't do me so bad. I hid those pills with intentions of no one ever finding them. I mean, how would anyone really lift my mattress? Especially a five year-old.

I stood up from my chair, breathing heavily as I tried to defend myself. "I have no idea how Willie got ahold of them!"

"That's not what I'm talking about! I'm saying why would you have birth control pills!" He shouted at me again. I gulped, all of my dignity sliding down like pudding on a wall. Mia and Lenny watched the entire thing with a chuckling Uncle Tom.

Emily stood up as well. "Sir, they're not her pills. They're mine!" She lied.

I turned to look at her, shaking my head and widening my eyes in horror. "Don't try and cover for me, Emily." My head turned, looking at dad with pure honesty. It's about time I was honest a bit. I knew deep in my heart I shouldn't rat out Clary either. And as someone who really cares about my friends, I'm only bound to put all this weight on myself. "They're mine, dad. I have them because..." I trailed off when he opened his mouth, eyes widening like he realized something.

"Are you...are you sleeping with that boy?!"

"No! I swear...I-I...I have them for my menstrual cycle. The pill regulates blood flow so it's not as bad," I recovered.

Lenny and Mia both cackled. "Disgusting," Mia laughed. "Gross." Lenny frowned. Good, I hope you don't think I'm so hot anymore, perv. Uncle Tom finally stood up and joined my worrying mother cradling Willie in her arms and the more mature adults in the kitchen.

Dad only shook his head. "I'm finding it really hard to believe you, Serenity," he remarked, crossing his arms over his chest. "I want the truth. Your little brother swallowed these pills that could possibly be very dangerous for him. For once in your life, tell. Me. The. Truth."

I can't tell on Clary. I can't let Emily take the blame for this. I don't know what I should do. Despite all the things I've done, I still don't know what the mature thing to do would be. I'm afraid of putting Clary in a tough spot because her mom isn't a very bright, forgiving person. Cold-blooded and always going on business trips to get away from Clary. This could mean a lot to Clary and I really can't do this to her.

Emily saw the chance as I paused, my bottom lip between my teeth in anxiety. "They're mine, sir. She's only covering for me because my mom would kill me," she spat out quickly.

My dad took one look at her and stared like he was a stone statue. "Emily, I'm sorry. But this is between my daughter and I. If they are yours, she will tell me." He turned to fix his gaze on me again.