Chapter Fiftyfour

My father picked me up that very next morning. I figured he'd want me to go to work today, and I didn't have the heart to refuse. I haven't seen Tiffany in a while, nor have I even been in the restaurant. I tried to be as patient with my parents as I could. Almost right when I walked through the kitchen, my mother was greeting me and putting me to work. 

        I guess it wasn't as bad as I'd exaggerate before. Today seemed like the casual day, but instead of feeling dreadful, I felt a sense of comfort. Now that my parents and I aren't on horrible terms, yet not perfect ones, I have hope that we will fix things. Truthfully, I've learned the hard way that things happen for a reason. In the end, it's always what's meant to be.

        "I haven't seen you in such a long time," Tiffany said as she came up to me from behind while I scrubbed down plates with soap and water. Her hazel eyes peered up at me with their usual sweet, vibrant display of hospitality. "It was actually Hell coming to work without you here." 

        I smiled gently. "I'm sorry. Just the usual." 

        "I figured. So how are you, really? Everything okay?" 

        Her show of concern proceeded to make me feel like I was yet at home. I was familiar with coming here every day after school or on the weekends in the morning to do the dishes, or have a deep, meaningful conversation with Tiffany. Only difference now was I wasn't drooling over Riley Manor. I had other things to look forward to now. At the beginning of the summer, I want to say I was someone dramatically different. 

        In a way, everything just happened to fall into place. For once. And maybe things will never be completely perfect, but to strive for the best is all I can possibly do at this point. 

        I sighed, putting up a genuine smile. Through all the crap I've been through and put others through this summer, it's hard to look back and say it was a great summer. However, at some points, I'd considered it to be the best.

        Nodding my head, I quietly said, "Yeah, I'm actually really well, thank you. How's the engagement going?" 

        When I glanced at her from the dishes, she had a soft grin on her lips. "We're getting married in April next year. We figured right now we're both still putting things together. Not to mention we should really do some maintenance around the house," she explained effortlessly. "But yeah, how are you and Harry?" 

        She dropped a wink on me as I grinned. "Him and I are great. Could be better, if he wasn't under house arrest, but besides that, I couldn't ask for anything else." 

        "That's good, I guess. Summer's over in like...," she paused for a moment to think, "like in less than two weeks, right?"

        "Yeah," I shrugged, washing off some plates. "Last year of high school better fly by. I really don't want to spend much more time in that building." 

        "I feel you," she commented with a sigh. "Well, I better get back to work. We'll talk later, alright?"

        I briefly nodded my head, returning to the dishes. Minutes later, I wiped my hands down my apron and swiftly turned at the sound of commotion behind me. My eyes scanned his feet before I was met with his brown eyes. The last time I encountered him was when I broke down and nearly told Harry that our relationship wasn't worth his time.

        With a harsh swallow, I narrowed my eyes and kept my silence.

        "I know you hate me," he rasped out. Even after weeks, there were faint bruises on his face and down his neck. He really got it afterwards. I forgot to even thank Niall and Louis for defending me, for sticking up for me when I barely knew them very well.