Chapter Five

I watched Riley wait around on the last few tables before the night would end and his shift would be over. He was so hot, but he'd never go for someone like me. He knows me as a goody, not the troublemaker that I am at night. He knows me as that weird girl always studying rather than the girl who dances with half of her ass out. 

"He's a jerk," Tiffany said beside me. Tiffany is a twenty-eight year-old who has just been recently engaged. I remember squealing with her at the size of the diamond ring on her hand. She was a pretty blond with brown eyes and thin lips. "Don't even try that one, girl." 

She was probably the only woman in a three mile radius who understood what was going on with me. Tiffany knew about my adventures at night. I smiled softly, sighing heavily. 

"I'm just a nerd to him. I wouldn't blame him. I do wear these long ass skirts." I laughed breathlessly. 

Tiffany grinned, bumping her hip with mine as we stood next to each other at the sink. "Honey, you and I both know you wear them at least a thousand inches shorter at night." 

"Shh!" I hissed at her, laughing gently. "My mom could hear us." 

She rolled her eyes. "That woman has eyes and ears everywhere. How does she not figure you out?" 

"I actually think she has. She's just waiting for the right moment to screw up my life." I told her, putting down a few plates. "If she hasn't already," I added. 

Tiffany hummed. "You think so?" 

"Yeah," I huffed, "Why else would I be doing the dishes on a Saturday night?" 

Someone called for her in that next second. She turned her head before looking back at me. "Or maybe 'cause your mom's a psychooo," she sang in a whisper to me, walking away while I tried not laugh at her.

By the time we were closing up, my dad planned to take us out for dinner. My mom refused to do that, though. She explained I was on punishment, and Willie was laughing at me in the car quietly. I looked over at the small child. We might as well have given birth to the anti-Christ. 

I flicked him in the forehead. He stuck his tongue out at me, huffing softly to himself before looking out at the window. My icy glare lingered on him for a while longer when my father interrupted my train of thought. 

"I know you've been working hard, Serenity. I am very proud," he smiled at me through the rear mirror. I could have told him I was proud he was driving the car rather than my mother but that would just unravel more problems and punishments in this family. 

He continued while I stared out the window, not wanting to hear about finals. "You'll pass this test with flying colors."

I was surprised my parents didn't lecture me how rude it was not making eye contact with the person who is talking to you. Every word they spoke usually flies in through one ear and out the other. Their ways make me want to rip out my hair. They don't get off my back, ever. They fail to know me as a daughter. It irritates me so much.