Chapter Fifty

note// just ten more chapters left :x i can't believe how far this story has come. thank you all so much. writing out our strange fantasies has become one of the only sources of positivity in my life because well, life's a bitch.

        i got emotional during this chapter bc there's a lot to think about. I want you guys to reflect on this chapter and see what point the story is trying to get across. so read every line please. 

        Serenity;

        Elliot was a mess the second we arrived. His eyes were a light pink from the constant sobbing. His hair was a mess of knots, an untrimmed mess. Overall, he looked depressed and clearly stressed with his current circumstances.

        I frowned, feeling sympathetic and emotional for him. He opened the door with such despair. It hurt me to see him like that. Usually, he's calling me a slut and joking about what he did Friday night. Our friendship is ridiculous, but that's what makes me so emotional now. It feels wrong having him this way. His struggles affect me so much it's like we're the same person.

        "Hey," I whispered, pulling him into a hug. He hadn't pushed me or way nor accepted the comforting gesture fully. But he did allow me to embrace him for a few seconds.

        He pulled away, sniffling a bit. "So, my parents refuse to let me leave the house. They think it's a phase."

        Behind me, Clary sighs heavily. "In all honesty, I'll keep you in my house. I wouldn't want to be around people like that."

        I was hoping Clary kept her mouth shut because she tends me to be a little harsh. So am I, but I mean, Clary sometimes crosses the line. However, her kindness was a show of sympathy, and Elliot seemed to be okay with it for that time being.

        "Thanks, Clary. But, I think I'm just going to have to stay home. It'll blow over eventually."

        The frown on my lips deepened in disagreement. "You can't stay here, Elliot. Just look at you and it's only been a day after!" I exclaimed, astonished that he'd even think about staying home, especially with his parents. Mine and his are alike in some attributes, but I can't let him depress himself here. I understand that he wants to avoid the trouble of leaving, but it's just not good for him.

        Elliot sighed, rubbing his nose with his hand before shrugging lazily. "I can't afford to get the cops called on so they can hunt me down. I'm not in the mood for a chase, Serenity. Plus, my parents can only do so much, you know? I'll just have to live with it."

        "But they're your parents, Elliot. How are you going to tolerate how they're treating you over this?" I asked.

        He gave me a saddened smile. "Sometimes, parents are like us all over again. They need time to get used to things and appreciate them. I think that we both learned a lot this summer, Serenity." Elliot stated softly, our eyes locked. Mine filled with a hallow anger that was a bottomless pit, while his held some sort of depression, but filled with hope.

        "Sometimes," he continued, "The best we can do is appreciate our own parents, too. All their thoughts and rules are for us to learn and grow up. For our safety."

        Not only is he saying this because he knows better, but because he's making sure I understand this applies to me. I stared at him, my lips parted while I tried to come up with words to form sentences. But as nothing came, I was left to ponder about his own words.

        Clary stood there silently, watching between us every now and then. Her frown was prominent and she too was filled with thought and somehow we all felt a surge of regret blow throughout the three bodies.