Chapter 3

In art, Keith kept staring at me. Did his friend, Kevin already tell him about the tutoring?

I went through my day, until period 9, my last class of the day. Gym. I am not athletic at all. I am a weak, tiny twig that sucks at gym.

"Alright class. Today we are climbing the rope. Questions?" our teacher Mr. Guzman shouted over my class. He motioned for us to get in to five equal lines so we each could climb.

James was at the front of my line, and when Mr.Guzman blew his whistle, James shot up the rope. He had short brown hair that stuck up (because of gel), a height of 6' 1" , and defined muscles.

He reached the top quickly and then he scrambled down. His legs helped his a lot in his ascent and descent.

He stood behind me, his tanned face light pink and his breathing heavy.

I was the last person in line, and when it was my turn I was a bundle of nerves that were lost and confused.

Mr.Guzman blew his whistle and I grabbed hold of the rope. Oh fiddlesticks. My legs slipped and I was holding onto the rope by only my arms. I moved my arm and worked my way to the top. I was exhausted when I got to the top. My body was shutting down, because as I said before, I am weak. It's a miracle I got to the top. I felt my grip loosen a bit before I started to fall.

My arms reacted before my brain and grabbed the rope again. I climbed down before I collapsed at the bottom.

"Holy shit. Are you okay?" James asked. I nodded, my skin red, and I was breathless.

" Rachel, are you okay? " Mr. Guzman called. I nodded in his direction before I went to the back of the line and sat down, trying to steady my heart.

JAMES POV

Rachel? Did Guzman just call her Rachel? As in Rachel Giles?

So she was tutor girl? Well she seemed pretty strong and had amazing reflexes. She went up the rope with only her hands, and when she fell she caught herself.

I walked to where she was and sat next to her.

RACHEL POV

I noticed a shadow near me before the person that owned the shadow spoke.

"Hello, I'm James. Nice to meet you.." The brown haired boy started, then trailed off. His brown orbs pierced my own.

Really, at this point was an introduction necessary? Everyone knew who he was.

I stuck my hand out and he shook it.

JAMES POV

" I'm Rachel. Pleasure to meet you James, " she replied. She had a really soft voice, but it was cute and a little angelic.

"Say Rachel, a big bird told me that you are tutoring a certain friend of mine starting tomorrow. And by big bird I am referring to Kevin," I said.

" Yes, I am aware of that arrangement, " she muttered. She was looking down and her lightly tanned skin made it hard to tell, but I could see that she was blushing a little.

I guess a wallflower like her isn't used to talking to others that much.

RACHEL POV

James kept trying to talk to me, but he soon gave up when he saw I wasn't replying.

I don't talk to others often, so sorry that I was nervous.

Finally the bell rang and I sprinted to the locker room, changed grabbed my bag and ran out of school.