Chapter 48

"Okay so Rachel, you need to understand that whatever is said here, can not, under any circumstances be revealed to other people. Do not talk about anything said here in public and don t write it anywhere," Charlie said. I nodded and saw Nate take a deep breath in.

"So Charlie, it's okay if I start right?" He asked. Charlie nodded and Nate started.

"So welcome to the Magan Gang, your local gang that is most likely the reason for your kidnapping, car crash and me stealing your phone. Okay who is next?"

" I'll go, " a tall girl said. "First off my name is Nicki. So we deal with the normal stuff, drug deals, weapon trades and we have only had a rivalry with one gang."

"That gang is the Gora Gang, and Jared is part of it," Zack cut in. His normally cheerful demeanor was gone. "That's why when you first started talking to him we were concerned. Now we have some sort of alliance with them, because there is a third gang that is behind your kidnapping and car crash."

"Okay tell me if I am getting this right," I said. "All of you are part of an illegal gang, and do illegal drug deals. You have some sort of three way gang war going on, and me being friends with you guys and your former rival gang has made me a target for the third gang."

"Yeah, good job," Nate smiled.

"Well she got the gist of it," some girl said. "Now we have to figure out what the hell we are going to do. I️ have an idea but I️ don't know if it will work."

"Go ahead Blair," Charlie motioned.

"So I️ am thinking, since Rachel is a target, we use her as bait," Blair started.

"Nope. No way in hell," Nate said.

"Nate let me finish," Blair groaned. "Anyways, we'll put her in a setting, like the towns upcoming winter formal and leave an open spot for them to take her. If they do, we follow them. After that we just take the douches out, grab Rachel and run. It's easy."

"I️ am fine with that. They hurt my brother and they have to pay," I️ agreed.

"Blair, while I would say we could try to make it work, I am saying no for now," Charlie said. "There are too many unknowns. We don't know how how people this third gang has, we don't know where this gang is, we don't know why they are targeting us."

"Not to mention, your plan is kinda simple," the guy next to Charlie said. "These guys aren't stupid if they encrypt phones like we saw. Most encryptions we see are basic things. This was someone who has had experience."

"Is this about the texts?" I asked.

" Yeah. Tracing them is hard because of the software blocking us. Until we figure out a way around it we are stuck, " the guy said. "Oh I forgot to say, I am Dave."

" Could I see what you guys have? I might be able to help, " I said.

"Sure. Nate give her your computer," Charlie said. Nate handed me his laptop and I went into what ever they were using to get around the program.

"This is something someone made," I said.

"As in they programmed everything and typed everything in their own?" Keith asked.

" Yeah. I have seen a few things like this when I went to coding competitions, but every single coder has a trademark of pattern. This looks familiar, but I can't figure out why, " I muttered.

"Okay so while Rachel tried to crack that we need to figure out what to do," Nicki said. I zoned out and focused on the letters and numbers in front of me.   The code was familiar, as if I had cracked it before, but at the same time it was foreign. I scanned each line looking for the pattern.

I thought back to every competition I had been to. We each had one hour before hand to encrypt something. Then each person would go head too head with someone else in attempt to crack the other persons code. I had done pretty well, and only lost a few times. Then again those few time, my opponents were two years older, but age isn't a factor in skill.

Then it hit me. This code was familiar because I had cracked it before. It was in a competition, two years ago, and my opponent was snarky. I had won but I remembered his face. He got second place and I got first place. I opened up Google and found my competition and pictures of first second and third place. The guy in the picture had blonde hair and a bright smile. I recognized him immediately. That blonde was Shane.

Authors note
Hey guys!! Thanks for all the support! I am on the road to recovery :)

As a lot of you may have heard we in the US might be losing net neutrality, so if we do just know that I freaking love all y'all and this has been a great journey. I will keep writing and pray we don't lose it.

What did you think of the chapter? I should be putting up a new chapter next week (assuming the internet is accessible for me)

And check out my messages on th page because there is something I am super happy about there and I don't feel like writing it here :)

<3 anubluey