Chapter 42

Kevin's POV

I sat next to Charlie's bed. We were rotating on watch duty to make sure no one else tired to hurt her. The surgery had taken sometime but because of the work at the gang house they were able to work a little faster. Dave had fallen asleep holding her hand, and that's when we decided to take him home, and that's how I got stuck there.

Where r u -Zack

Hospital. Why? -Kevin

I am on my way. Can you call james? He isn't picked my calls -Zack

Ok - Kevin

I scrolled through my contacts until I ended on James. I clicked the green call button and heard it ring. It rang 4 times before he picked up.

"Yo, what's up?" he said.

" James, what the fuck no one has heard from you, " I muttered.

"Oh sorry. I was just handling something, but it's done. I am heading home. Why what's going on?"

" Charlie is in the hospital, Zack is freaking out and I don't know anything else. "

"Fuck. Alright I am coming," Zack replied. He hung up and I was met with a long beep.

"Way to drop a bomb on him over the phone," a raspy voice said. I looked at the bed and Charlie's eyes were open.

"Hey Charlie. How are ya feelin?" I asked.

"Like a million bucks," she muttered.

" She says as she is on a hospital bed, " I laughed. " Hold on I am gonna go get Dave. " I walked out of the room only to see Dave standing there, looking like he had 5 cups of coffee.

" Charlie's up, " I muttered. He nodded and walked in. I couldn't help but feel guilty. I had basically agreed to throwing my family under the bus to make sure Keith wouldn't die. I knew that even he would be pissed and tell me to think of the big picture. In his words 'if it's one life you care about against 20 lives you barely know, just think what the person you care about would want you to do. Stop being selfish.'

He had told me that when we were doing a personality test in some random class, and the question was kill someone you love or kill five strangers. I had picked kill five strangers after a few minutes of thinking but Keith had picked kill someone you love after about 30 seconds of thought.

I opened my phone and went to recent calls. The number was still there. I closed my eyes and hit the call button.

"Hello Kevin, what can I help you in?" The smooth voice said.

"I am changing my mind," I said walking down the hall.

" Oh? What do you mean? " the person said, sounding slightly interested.

"I am withdrawing from your offer," I stated. The line was silent for about 20 seconds before they spoke again.

"Are you sure? Do you know what that means?"

" Yes. "

"That means that Keith will die. The boy who is basically your brother," the person said slowly. That almost got me to reconsider. Almost.

"Yes, I know." The line was completely silent and then there was a single gunshot.

"Congratulations Kevin, you just murdered Keith," the person laughed. They cut the one and I put my phone away. I walked outside to my motorcycle and drove to the first place I could think of. It was a cliff near a river where Keith and I met up to smoke, talk or just for fun.

I reached the peak and sat on the edge. It overlooked our small town. I could see everything, the school, the hospital. I sat there and I felt something on my face. It was wet. I wiped the year off of my face and tried to hold it in but I couldn't. Within minutes I was sobbing, and devastated at what I had done. m

Keith was gone. And it was my fault.

Authors Note

Hey guys, what do you think? (Sorry for short chapter)

We are almost at 50K, and I want to do something special. Any ideas?

Can we get this to 15 votes? I dunno

-anubluey