CHAPTER 37

"DON'T LET GO!" Taehyung screamed.

Jung kook felt Taehyung's grip slip.

"JUNG KOOK PLEASE!" The brunette shouted.

His voice hits hard, Jung kook could feel tears brimming in his eyes. The lights of the fireworks were reflected in Taehyung's sad eyes. Jung kook gulped as Taehyung bent over even more, almost falling with him.

"PLEASE! JUNG KOOK! GRAB. THE. RAILING!" Taehyung shouted again, his voice much louder and much more strained. Taehyung used his free hand and latched onto the cold metal railing, the brunette wanted to use both his arms, but he would not be able to support his weight as well. As wind ripped through his clothes and hair, the human tried his best to block out the messy noises around him and focus on the suicidal Jung kook.

Jung kook's hand slipped again and Taehyung leaned forward to catch the spirit. His leg was caught between the gap and the ground, he bit this tongue and grunted loudly. Jung kook let out a strangled cry as he slipped downward even more, his hand barely touching the edge of the bridge. Jung kook's hand was flailing around for something to hold, he was kicking his legs around, foreign to the feeling of it dangling in mid-air.

"YOU ARE ALMOST THERE!" Taehyung shouted as Jung kook's fingertips brushed against the concrete.

Jung kook could feel Taehyung's arms giving out, it was sweating and shaking. Taehyung's legs were trying its best to get a footing on the solid ground, Jung kook was letting out strangled screams when an explosion of fireworks erupted behind him. Taehyung needed more time, he needs more strength to pull Jung kook up and to safety.

"Tuh-Taehyung-a-ah," Jung kook started off. "I...iuh..."

"I love you."

"What?" Taehyung asked, shell-shocked. "What did you say?"

"I love you, Taehyung-ah." Jung kook repeated.

"No... no, you can't! Don't say that! Jung kook!" Taehyung hollered, latching into Jung kook tightly. The brunette had tears in his eyes as Jung kook began to disappear, his fingertips turning into air and dissipating into nothing. The brunette held onto Jung kook tightly, his finger wrapping around the spirit's wrists as if he would float away.

"So that's what you cannot say... the three special words." Jung kook whispered, his vision blurring as he did so. Taehyung let out a soft sob when Jung kook's body was blending into the lake. The younger boy was turning transparent and Taehyung couldn't hold on to him any longer.

"Taehyung-ah... say it. I just want to hear it." Jung kook pleaded with a sad smile stretched across his face.

"I love you too."

And with that, Jung kook slipped from Taehyung's grip and fell into the cold waters below. When touching the surface of the lake, he heard a muted explosion of fireworks, some flare even singed his clothes. The water felt like concrete, it sounded like smashed glass to his ears. As the foam wrapped around Jung kook's body, he felt cold, yet quite warm too, as if the water was acting like a blanket, surrounding him. It was painful, too painful for the spirit to handle. Jung kook could see bubbles dancing around, in front of his eyes. They were chanting and screaming for Jung kook to close his eyes and let the current wash over him. However, instead of the brilliant blue he witnessed before, Jung kook could only see diluted red waving in front of his drooping eyes.

The currents turned his body over, and he could see a shadow of a man, climbing over the railing and threatening to dive in.

Taehyung... no... please.

Jung kook pleaded in his head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Taehyung was a screaming mess.

He was so ready to jump into the lake to save Jung kook, but he knew that it was all too late. He knew that Jung kook would be gone by then. Jung kook would have disappeared, wiped clean from the face of the earth. Taehyung took a deep breather and swung his leg over the railings, he was desperate to get Jung kook back, he just wanted to see his face again, hold him in his arms again. He would never have thought that Jung kook would have resulted in suicide. Jumping off a bridge as fireworks erupted in the sky.

Taehyung was ready to dive in into the cold lake when a pair of hand grabbed him from behind. He turned around, only to see Mark and Youngjae grabbing his arms and hooking onto them. They said something, but Taehyung could not make out what they said to him. Youngjae pulled Taehyung back, his body going over the railings again. This time, the shadowman was so ready to punch the brunette in the face.

"WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!" Youngjae hollered, grabbing Taehyung's collar. The shadowman shook the brunette with all his might, but the human did not respond to any hurtful things he had said.

"ANSWER ME! WHY DID YOU WANT TO JUMP! HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT JUNG KOOK'S FEELINGS!?" Youngjae continued scolding.

"JUNG KOOK IS DEAD! HE IS GONE!" Taehyung shouted, throwing Youngjae off him. "HE IS GONE!"

Taehyung's voice cracked and he sobbed out loudly, bringing his knees to his chest. He buried them deep into his knees. Whilst doing so, a crowd gathered around Taehyung. They whispered and pitied him, some even took pictures and videos of him, ready to post them onto the internet and spread gossip about the human.

Mark broke from the crowd and waved them off, trying to bring the attention away from the heartbroken Taehyung. Youngjae pulled the human away, in the attempt to drag the brunette away, he was muttering something under his breath. Taehyung did not realize what jeopardy he had put his life into, almost jumping off a bridge for a man who had disappeared. For a man who spoke the forbidden words, for a man who was depressed and suicidal.

Jung kook was gone.

Officially gone.

Jung kook was going to disappear from his mind the next morning. Taehyung knew it, he could feel it in his veins. Whatever memory they had shared would come up like a blank canvas next time, it would a space that nothing could fill it up. An empty void.

"Don't leave me Jung kook."

The name had started to sound foreign. The forgetting has already started.

"Please... Don't leave. You promised... You promised..."