Chapter Eight: A Few Months Later

It had been a roller coaster of a time the last few months. Kikyo had been desperately trying to conceive, trying every potion available, adding a considerable amount of strain to the household. You and Illumi had no idea what you were doing, which only made things awkward, tense and sometimes interesting when you were alone together. Add all that on top of your ever swelling body and crazy hormones, and you got one emotional, pregnant monster.

Your ankles were swollen, your face was swollen, your belly was obviously swollen (eight months swollen!) and even your breasts were swollen to an uncomfortable size. Back pains riddled your days and you could do little but sit around and fan yourself in the heat. It was June now, and very warm at the mansion. Reducing the amount of clothing you wore helped but almost always backfired as Illumi saw this as an appropriate time to snuggle your belly and talk to your little alien. He had even begun rubbing creams onto you mumbling something about how nice your skin was and how lucky it was that you had no stretch marks from your pregnancy. You supposed it was better than when he went through his phase of measuring your stomach daily to chart your growth. You practically hid from him for weeks.

However, at this moment you were doing nothing but relaxing outside and doing some light prenatal yoga. You had to stay in shape after all and you remember your mother telling you about her exercise routine while carrying you. After a few moments of gentle stretching, you felt some light kicks and you playfully poked back.

"Hey!" You spoke to them, "don't be messing up my insides! Remember you're only a visitor and I need to use those after you leave."

"They must be eager to leave, it seems it may be too cramped in there."

Arms wrapped around your belly, searching until the found the spot being kicked.

"I will miss this YN-san. I enjoy this feeling of our child trying to reach me." Illumi laid his head on your shoulder, his shaggy hair falling over his face. You blushed lightly. You two had not done more than kiss since you had come to live here. Probably for the best, you thought. However, you both hadn't been shy with affection that could be construed as merely for your baby. It was more than likely pride that didn't allow either of you to acknowledge how much you truly enjoyed each other's touch. And that made it awkward most of the time. But not now. In an uncommonly pleasant mood, you allowed yourself to place a hand over one of his and the other to play with his silky hair.

"I think you look good with long hair Illumi-san."

"You've told me this before when we first met."

"Did I? And what did you say then?"

"I told you that long hair would get in the way of my work."

You laughed, "And yet you haven't cut it since."

Illumi blushed wildly and retracted his hands. Turning away from you and cramming his hands into his pockets he began to walk away.

"Are you excited?" You asked quickly. He looked towards you briefly.

"Outwardly, I'm indifferent."

"Yeah like always. But inwardly?"
"Maybe just a little." And with that, Illumi disappeared into the mansion.

"Me too." You whispered, "me too."

Suddenly, Zeno appears behind you. You let out a yelp and reflexively hardened your bones. Now it is Zeno's turn to laugh.

"Kikyo has important news, so please waddle your way into the dining room soon." Zeno relayed. Before you could even recognize what he said, he had vanished.

"Hey!" You yelled to no one in particular now, "I don't waddle!" And you waddled towards the dining room.