Chapter Twenty-Four: Uneventful But Suspicious

This part of the exam was rather uneventful. Killua did fine, apart from a hilarious incident where a giant frog swallowed him. You had been ready to take down the creature of course, but Killua was highly resourceful in saving some of that awful Tonpa juice. Now that you both had finished the first phase of the exam, you reconvened.

"How are you doing, Killu?"

"Fine, Mama-chan."

"Just fine, eh? Care to elaborate?"

"Nah."

"Oh you!" You tackled him to the ground and ruffled his feathery white hair while tickling him.

"Stop! Stop!" Killua laughed as he tried to get away. Soon, Gon appeared with who you learned was Kurapika.

"Gon!" Killua called out, "what happened? Where did you go? Why is the pervert carrying the old man?"

Like mother like son, you giggled to yourself as you heard him call everyone names.

"We ran into Hisoka... it was... scary."

They continued to talk, while you glared around looking for that perverted magician. How dare he try to kill your son's first friend! You finally spotted him, canoodling some strange looking man-creature. You made eye contact with him and gagged. He couldn't even be faithful to Illumi? How rude. I would be a much better partner. You thought.

Finally, it was time for the second phase. You sighed as you listened to Menchi explain the rules. You hadn't anticipated such an event. You didn't eat meat. So you weren't going to slaughter an animal. End of story.

"What are you going to do, Mama-chan?" Killua asked you as Menchi finished explaining and everyone left for the forest.

"I'll come again next exam! It's okay Killu, I would continue to follow you."

Killua whined. He knew how badly you wanted this, but he wasn't sure how he could even help.

You on the other hand, were only slightly disappointed. You decided to chat with Menchi and Buhara.

"I haven't seen you guys in so long! How did you get stuck in this stupid position?" You ask.

"Ah well you know how persuasive Netero-sama can be when it comes to the rules. If you're asked to be an examiner, then you have to." Buhara told you.

"I'm kind of pissed off about how the participants are treating us. Gourmet hunters are brave and strong, just like any other hunter. It's so unfair that we're always made fun of." Menchi complained.

"Which reminds me, Menchi. You guys remember that I don't eat meat... could I have an exception to the rule?" You ask sweetly.

"I know for a fact Netero-sama would have a fit if he heard we gave you an exception just because we're old friends."

"I thought I'd try." Sheepishly grinning, you rubbed the back of your head.

"Oh look! Everyone is returning! Maybe we'll find a future chef!" Buhara cheered as you retreated to watch Killua attempt cooking.

It was going horribly. Killua had no idea what he was doing. You had at least had a small bit of experience before you got pregnant, but Killua had never even been in a kitchen. He's so spoiled. You laughed out loud, earning a glare from your son. He had barely cooked the pig but he had already managed to burn the whole thing. It was such a sight to see him try and fail at something. So much for being an all-around prodigy, You laughed again.

"Go back to your station Mama-chan, you're embarrassing me!" Killua yelled, red-faced. You really couldn't stop laughing, so you retreated to your station.

"What is this?" You whispered. There was a poorly prepared plate of pork at your station. Who did this?... Menchi? No way, she would be embarrassed to cook something so poorly. And it wasn't Killua because I was just there. Was it... Hisoka? You looked over to the odd man but found him struggling just as much. Probably not. It must have been one of Gon's friends. They seem done.

In fact, most people were done and would go up one-by-one to present their food to your two hunter friends. You decided it was worth a shot.

"Here Buhara, eat this." You started, "It looks disgusting, so I wouldn't bother eating it Menchi."

"I thought you weren't participating." Menchi questioned.

"I wasn't. This was just on my station."

"Oooo, do you have a secret admirer here, YN?"

"No!" Blushing wildly at the thought. "I don't have 'admirers' and even if I did, I have too much baggage for them."

Other participants were looking at you oddly. Why were you talking so long with the examiners? Were you going to pass when no one else had yet?

"We, uh, we heard. We're sorry for your loss..." Buhara stumbled.

My loss?... They must think... I lost the baby. I guess that makes the most sense.

"It's fine. Can you just fail me?"

"I'm going to fail everyone." Menchi grumbled.

"Oh Menchi, don't be like that!" She was such a sourpuss sometimes. 

You retreated and watched as she follow through on her words. How frustrating for everyone. It even got to a point where Buhara had to defend the participants from Menchi's wrath. Then, a blimp appeared.

"Oh goodness, it's him." You grumbled.

"Who?" Asked Killua.

"Netero-sama, the president of the Hunter's Association."

A/N: A bit of a filler chapter, but it had to be done. Here's a question to make this chapter a little bit more important: who are your parents in this story?