Chapter Sixteen: Age Three

Scythe it was! You worked hard for the next year on being able to project your aura onto your scythe. It was special to you, particularly because it had just appeared at your doorway one day after telling the family at dinner your weapon choice and having a small celebration around the decision. It was a little bit odd, but the Zoldycks were odd anyway. You had assumed Zeno had given it to you, as he knew you best and honestly it was a beautiful weapon. The scythe was made of lonsdaleite, similar in appearance to diamond, but even stronger. It had your first name on the blade and a tiny Z at the very bottom of the staff lasered onto it. You loved it. And so did the three young boys. You practically had to lock it up or constantly elasticize it to avoid any of the children getting hurt. Every child was in training now, so you had a little more free time than usual. This was almost always a chance for you to simply pick up after the three tiny tornadoes of mess, but it allowed you more time to train as well.

But training wasn't the only thing on your mind. Alluka had finally revealed two secrets to the family. The first was Nanika. The second was that he now wanted to be a she. This honestly didn't bother you in the slightest; why would you care? But the Zoldycks weren't taking either secret well and discussions had begun on how to handle the situation. They had already agreed to ignore Alluka's wishes and continued to address her as a male. But they hadn't decided on the right course of action for Nanika. After all, it could be incredibly useful to have a wish-granting child. However, the cost of the wishes may be a bit too high and it was generally uncontrollable.

This caused a lot of stress for the entire family, but particularly on Killua, who loved his sister dearly. Illumi however, was stressed for an entirely different reason. He now had three toddlers to train and it was a nightmare. Every day he longed to ask you to stay and help but his pride didn't allow it. He also didn't have the heart to punish any of the children, so truly they trained as they pleased. He figured that they would have a longer attention span and better listening skills as they grew older, and for that he could wait. His agreement with his father however, had been that he would handle the basic training, and then when they were at a higher level, they would join Illumi and Milluki while his father trained all five of them. He is in for a surprise when these children join us. Illumi mused. Hopefully they will be better behaved. He certainly will not put up with them this way.

You also felt a similar way. You were comforted by the fact that Illumi was indeed going "easy" on them, whatever that really meant, but you would have preferred them to not have any training this young. Even worse, it had been about two years straight of cleaning up vomit day and night for you, and it would more than likely continue for another two years while Kalluto finished his own poison tolerance training. One could only clean vomit for so long before they started losing their mind.

You weren't completely without anxieties for the children individually either. Killua had become more defiant, causing you to worry about when, not if, his parents would decide to punish him. He had also become more dependent on you than you had wanted; insisting on sleeping in your bed, eating in your lap and being the center of your attention. That was very tiring. Alluka, thankfully, was quite easy to handle besides the whole Nanika issue. She simply wanted to be around Killua and was happy doing anything as long as he was beside her. And as for Nanika, she also loved Killua and they had developed a special bond. Killua knew what Nanika wanted and knew how to circumvent some of the rules that came with her. Something you had also figured out, but in a much different way. Finally, this left Kalluto who still hadn't learned to talk. Perhaps he had actually, but he had refused to demonstrate this knowledge and it was becoming annoying to the entire family. But you understood him. Kalluto also loved Killua, but didn't receive the attention that Alluka did. This left him often in a gloomy mood, seeking comfort from either you or Kikyo; both of you babied him more than he needed.

Age three for Killua went smoothly. He had taken to the electrical training well and was ready to move one once again to a different form of torture. And you would be ready every night to take care of the three Zoldyck children whom you loved deeply.