Chapter Thirty-Six: Kalluto Time

It had been about a week since your falling out with Illumi. Killua had also been in the punishment room for a similar period. So your days were taken up with Kalluto and Alluka when you were allowed to see her. Kalluto was thrilled with this. He absolutely adored the time alone. He had rarely experienced your devoted attention and especially since you were in a melancholy mood, he received an unusual amount of affection.

"Mama-chan?" He asked you, as he played around with some paper.

"Yes, Kallu?" You looked over at him from your bed.

"Are you tired?"

"I always feel tired now."

"Are you sad?"

"Not when I play with you, Kallu."

"Look what I learned, Mama-chan." The paper he was playing with suddenly flew into the air.

Excited, you sat up. He could use nen? Even Killua couldn't do that.

"Who taught you that?" You asked, curious if he had learned it on his own.

"Ojii-chan." You smiled at this. The sly old fox. He must have known that Kalluto was feeling left out.

"Well it's super cool. You'll have to keep practicing!" You encouraged him as you crawled closer to the young boy.

"I just wanted to be able to protect you. Killu made you leave our home and you could have gotten hurt. I wanted to come." You hugged Kalluto close. He was the most underrated child in this family. He was a prodigy all on his own, even if your own son often gained more attention.

"I know, Kallu. I don't think you're suited to the Hunter's Exam. I do however, have an idea of where you could go to get outside training. I haven't seen them in years though... I'll look into for you." Kalluto beamed at this. Only you had made him feel special like this.

"Mama-chan?" He cuddled into you, as your held him in your lap.

"Yes, baby?" You were feeling especially affection with the youngest Zoldyck, since he was being so cute. I miss my babies. You suddenly thought. I miss when they were so tiny. I miss having three babies to love all day.

"I'm going to marry you when I grow up. I'll take care of you like you take care of me. I promise."

"Oh Kallu," you placed a kiss on his head, and ran your fingers through his hair. "Just loving me is enough for me."

"You don't want to marry me?" Kalluto looked up towards you.

"I think I'm more suited to be your nanny, Kallu. I think you'd like someone your age a little bit better for a wife." Kalluto pulled away from you, pouting.

"You're just going to marry stupid Aniki-san."

Your face darkened enough for Kalluto to realize his mistake.

"I'm sorry, Mama-chan. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to call him stupid."

His voice snapped you out of the dark mood the mention of Illumi caused.

"It's not that, Kalluto. Even if you shouldn't call people names. Illumi just wasn't being very nice to me while we were away."

"I'll kill him, Mama-chan. I'll do it." Kalluto's face also darkened, but you quickly covered his mouth with your hand.

"Never say that, Kalluto. Not here. Your father would punish you if he heard that. And I couldn't take that. It would break my heart."

"Okay..." Kalluto acquiesced, "but I do hate him." He whispered to you.

"I hate him too, Kallu. But I love you more than I hate him."

"I wonder what he's doing. He hasn't come home yet." Kalluto wondered aloud.

"I don't know. And I don't care." You replied callously. But neither of those statements were true.