Chapter Fifty-Eight: Month Eight

It was particularly difficult to sneak into the Zoldyck mansion at eight months pregnant. However, when you knew the butler personally and were considered a lady of the Zoldyck family, it became just slightly easier.

It was just past two in the morning and you were listening through Illumi's door.

You could just make out soft sobs. Slowly, you opened the door.

"Leave." Illumi commanded, while letting out a massive rush of blood lust that almost knocked you over.

But you didn't leave. Instead you were shocked by the sight of Illumi laying in a puddle of blood, still bleeding out from punishment you assumed was for his actions earlier in the week.

"You're going to die if you keep laying there." You whispered.

His head whipped towards you and twisted up horribly again.

"I'd rather die than live my life without you as my wife." He responded quietly.

You sighed. Illumi always had a flair for the dramatic.

"Don't you want to meet your daughter?"

"D-daughter?" Illumi's face showed an expression of shock.

"That's right. Not only did you produce an heir to the family, but the first daughter in four generations."

Illumi sat up and places his arms over his knees. His back was really bad. Massive flaps of skin hung off of him.

"Let me dress your wounds, Illu." You cooed as you walked closer.

"Only if I can touch your stomach." He bartered.

You laughed. Some things never changed.

As you went into his bathroom, you gathered all the materials to both stitch up your distraught fiance and cover the wounds.

"Why did you come back?" Illumi asked as he gritted his teeth in pain. The stitching wasn't going to have any anesthetic.

"We still have to get married."

"I thought you were done with me. I thought that... I thought that I had ruined everything once again."

"No. I was angry--"

"Rightfully so."

"Rightfully so, but I have a solution. You're welcome to say yes or no, but if you say no, then that's it. That's the end."

"Tell me." Illumi was desperate to keep his family together. He figured there was nothing that would even make him hesitate in accepting your solution.

"My father invited me to the next exploration of the Dark Continent."

"Wha--"

"I've already accepted. And I want you to come. This could be the only way to escape your family. I want our daughter to have a choice. I don't want her to endure what Killua had to go through. Say you'll come with me, Illu. No Hisoka, no parents and no traditions. But it also means no Killua, no modern conveniences and nothing to ensure our survival. It's likely that we'll die. That's just the facts. But to me, it's worth it. I'd rather die than be forced by your family to live my life exactly how they want. I'm not going to watch my daughter get beaten like you and Killua. I won't watch her be poisoned by the ones she loves. But I don't want to take her away from you. Killua and Alluka have already abandoned this family. Say you'll leave with me, Illu. I beg you."

"Yes." Without hesitation, Illumi knew this was it. This was the only way to stay together. He wasn't important to his family anyway. "Will you be staying here until the birth?"

"I'll be busy preparing for the trip, but if it would make you feel better, I can spend what time I have open in the mansion."

"Could we get married before we leave?"

"I wouldn't have it any other way."