Chapter Thirty-Five: Welcome Home

Livid, you turned to Illumi.

"You monster! How could you do that to him! How could you control and torture your own family! I overestimated you Illumi Zoldyck. I thought you had a heart. I thought you cared. But in the end, you were exactly how your family raised you. Heartless, cold and uncaring."

"Y-YN... No..." Illumi was breaking. His emotionless facade cracking as the woman he loved declared her hatred for him. He deserved it. He had done nothing but hurt her by listening to his family.

"Mail me my license, Jii-san. I have to take care of my family." You walked towards the door, looking back one last time. "And Illumi-sama, please address me as LN-san. We're not close. Not anymore."

Hisoka wrapped his arms around Illumi. Partly to comfort him, partly to prevent him from chasing after you. It was the only thing that was keeping him from falling apart.

"Don't go..." Illumi couldn't even muster up the power to yell to you. Instead, he watched you leave.

And then, the door shut. On the hunter exam. On your freedom from the Zoldycks. And on your relationship with Illumi.

Outside was Killua, who was distraught. But he couldn't speak with you. Not yet. Instead you carried him. All the way home.

Hours and hours. Day after day. Occasionally Killua would mumble something to you, whether it was "I hate Aniki-kun." or "I love you Mama-chan." it got you through the hours.

But when you arrived at the Zoldyck mansion, you had to give in and comply with the rules of the house. Killua had run away and he was going to be punished.

You returned to your room, in your tall tower, in the corner of the mansion. One by one the Zoldycks visited you.

"There's always next time." Zeno remarked.

"You can return to taking care of Kallu now. Be sure to check on Alluka as well." Kikyo reminded you.

"Killua's got to be punished, you know." Milluki teased you.

"Congratulations on your license." Silva tried to comfort you.

"Will you play with me, YN-san?" Kalluto asked in his quiet voice.

"Very well." Was your response to all five.

At night, you slept near Kalluto. He had apparently had a very difficult time with you being away, and you felt guilty.

As the days went by, you reconnected with Kalluto. After all, the rules before you left had been that you couldn't coddle Killua. So you redirected that attention to Kalluto, who you loved as well.

"Does your mother make you wear kimonos?" You asked as you both played around with paper dolls.

"Yes. But I don't mind. It makes her happy." Kalluto spoke with you as he crawled into your lap. He wanted-- no, needed-- your attention. Brushing his hair with your hands you asked how his training was going. "They say I'm a prodigy in stealth, but nothing like Killua."

"That's right. You are nothing like Killua. And that's what makes you, you. You are your own person, Kallu my love. Remember that. You aren't just a Zoldyck. You're Kalluto as well."

"And you're my Mama-chan too."

"That's right, Kallu. I'm your Mama-chan and I will always be here for you."