Chapter Fourteen: Age One

A/N: The next seven or so chapters will be snapshots of Killua growing up. If you want to jump straight to where the manga/anime begins, it will be Age Twelve. Thanks to everyone who has read, commented or voted so far! It's truly inspirational. As a separate note, I will refer to Alluka with he/him/his pronouns until she's old enough to talk and express herself as female, then I will change over to she/her/hers.

Today was the first day of poison training for Killua. You were trying to juggle holding the rowdy one-year-old and the newer baby, Alluka. Something about Alluka wasn't quite right, but you couldn't put your finger on it just yet. Maybe it had something to do with all of the potions and tinctures that Kikyo had used to try and get pregnant, but it certainly hadn't deterred her from trying to get pregnant with her own rightful heir. Any day now, it seemed like she would announce another pregnancy and yet another young child for you to take care of. Now that you watched over the children all day, it didn't really matter to her if she had three children under the age of three. She just wanted to prove her own worth, no matter the stress it put on you.

Killua was a naturally independent baby and had learned to walk and talk very quickly. This meant however, that you were also chasing him around constantly and trying to explain everything to him. Today was no different.

"Killua-sama, please settle down! You're going to do training today. You'll need to be on your best behavior!"

"Why Mama-chan?"

You lowered your voice, "Remember that we only whisper 'Mama-chan' just like I only whisper 'Killu'!" You snuggled into him to combat the light scolding. "You're going to lead this family of assassins one day, so you have to start learning how early."

"Okay..." baby Killua tried his best to then whisper, "Mama-chan"

"Ooo you are just too cute, I could eat you up!" And you pretended to chomp into him as he laughed wildly, causing the young Alluka to laugh as well. He had always been a cheerful baby,  and absolutely adored Killua.

As you opened the door to the room you were told to take Killua to, you were met with the person who adored Killua even more than Alluka, and possibly more than you even: Illumi. He had become somewhat obsessed with Killua within the last year and spent all of his free time with him.

"Nii-san!" Killua cried out. He loved his older brother/actual father very much too. I wonder if Illu has Killu call him something special in secret too, you wondered.

"Ahh Killu! I have missed you dearly since breakfast. I'm going to be in charge of your training. So we will be spending much of our days together."

"Yay! Nii-san plays with Killu!" This was too cute. You let the squirming toddler down and allowed him to kiss Alluka goodbye. "Stay Ma-- YN-san!"

"Oh no, Killua-sama, not this time. I don't train you, I simply take care of you. Your mother will come get you for lunch and I will see you then. Have fun with Illumi-sama!" You turned to leave, but Illumi had appeared next to you. He leaned over to speak quietly in your ear.

"Killu will be very ill for the next few months. He may not want to eat, but we will prepare special food for him. It is only for him. Do not ingest any of it. I would not want you to be harmed."

You took a deep breath. You knew this was coming, but it still was very difficult for you to watch your only son be purposefully poisoned. Especially now that you knew his own father was going to be personally administering it.

Deciding to spend time in the playroom with Alluka, it was easy to pass the few hours between then and lunch. As you arrived to the dining room, you were reminded of your own times in here while pregnant. I remember wanting pickles and peanut butter so often. You giggled. The thought of it makes me sick now! Placing Alluka in his high chair, you played games with him as you waited for the rest of the family to filter in. Eventually everyone had arrived. Illumi came in last, holding Killua, who was positively green and draped over Illumi's shoulder.

"I could feed Killu today Mother. That way I know how much he ingests." However Killu spotted you before Kikyo could agree with or deny Illumi.

"YN-san! YN-san! Feel yucky" His eyes welled up with tears. "Tummy hurts."

Illumi tightened his grip. Jealousy overwhelmed him as he was once again reminded that you at least got to play mommy with Killua.

"Assassins do not cry Killu. You may vomit if you wish, but you have more food coming." Illumi did his best to comfort Killua; rubbing his back, kissing his head and bouncing him lightly. But the toddler began shrieking and reaching out for you. Finally he acquiesced and allow you to take him and rock him as he calmed down.

"Very good of you Illu. I agree with you, but we do not have to push so fast. Eventually he will not care who takes care of him. Think of it as a phase." Kikyo tried to comfort her son, who was emitting something of a smothering aura. "Please, sit down and enjoy your meal before you resume training."

However, the meal was not that enjoyable. Killua couldn't keep anything down and finally you caved and decided to breast feed him and Alluka, who wasn't onto solid foods yet anyway.

You removed yourself for this task and tried your best to comfort the poor, sick boy. But soon enough, Illumi found you and took Killua, who screamed to be back in your arms, back to training. That night, when Killua was finally returned to you, he looked ghastly. You fell asleep that night rocking him in your rocking chair and using your foot to rock Alluka's bassinet. This was one of many very difficult nights to come.