Chapter Forty-Seven: Peanut Butter, Private Moments and Pickles

You and Illumi had come to an agreement that you would spend the rest of that day just relaxing at the mansion, rather than confront the family that evening.

"...and Kalluto is doing absolutely wonderful with the Phantom Troupe I hear! Even has become an official member!" Kikyo ranted as you all sat down to eat dinner.

"I hear Killua has also begun mastering nen. A very appropriate challenge for him." Silva added.

The dinner tonight was rather fancy and rather pickle-y. Dill pickle soup, pickle martinis and dill pickle bread. And it was driving you crazy.

"Who chose this meal? It's rather... strong." You asked.

"That was me, YN-chan. I remember you fondly enjoying pickles with the oddest condiments... Peanut butter, was it? Would you like some now?"

You thought about it briefly and decided it would be a welcome reprieve from this brine-filled meal. As you nodded, a butler presented you with a fancy bowl of peanut butter. 

"So, Illumi, is it safe for us to assume you've brought YN-chan back in order to declare the restart of your relationship." Silva asked.

You almost spit out your drink. Of course they would know. They're ridiculous when it comes to gathering intel.

"Yes, Father. She is no longer an employee, she has been trained by us, I assume she is suitable material for such a position." Illumi responded politely.

"More than. She knows our secrets. She knows your weakness. I think you know where I am heading with this."  Silva continued, as he continued to eat his dinner.

Kikyo let out an uncomfortable screech and left the room in a huff.

"Papaaa, noooo" Milluki groaned. He had never been a fan of you.

"Would you do us the honor of joining our family?" Silva asked.

"Of course, Silva-sama." You responded politely, as you swallowed your peanut butter and pickle bread.

"Father will do just find." Silva smiled and chuckled. The truth was, that he was happy to have you in the family. You had a very good bloodline, not a traditional assassin but that didn't matter, and he wouldn't have to waste the time vetting you. He practically raised you.

"Oh and next time you come here, for 'just a visit', try to remove any particularly special jewelry that could give away the surprise." Zeno added in.

You looked down at your hand and back up at the Zoldyck men. Then, you broke out into laughter. You had indeed forgotten to remove your engagement ring.

The rest of the dinner went by without a hitch and before you knew it, you and Illumi were headed off to bed.

"Let me stop by my old room and grab a book to read, okay Illu?" You asked.

"Very well, my love. I will see you in bed." He kissed your forehead and proceeded to his, now your, room.

You swiftly walked to your old room, searching for something pleasant to read. Not that you really thought you would be reading much. As you looked for that "just right" book for the evening, you felt a familiar presence enter the room.

"Hello, Ojii-san."

"Hello, YN-chan."

"May I inquire about your business with me?" You asked, not looking at the old man.

"When were you going to alert the family to your condition?"

You dropped the books you were holding. How did he know?